As a 22 year old graphic design student, What resources can I get to prepare and learn about the area for a possible move in two years?

Asked by Smurden00%40gmail.com, Sun Nov 24, 2013

Career prospects, safety, quality of life, Best neighborhoods in Manhattan, ETC...

Answers

9
Valerie D'Am…, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Nov 25, 2013

I can assure you that as it is said, New York is the concrete jungle of opportunity. If there is a will you will find your way in this huge city. I have lived in New York City for upward of 23 years and i absolutely love it.

Touching on career opportunities, again New York City is where dreams come true. I would recommend booking a trip to come here and EXPLORE the landscape. Literally you never know who you will see, meet or what career doors can be opened by just visiting a museum, Art Gallery, Coffee Shop, or just a local Eatery. Keep an open mind and you will go further than even you can imagine.

As far as safety, being a native of NYC, i can tell you anywhere is typically safe.

Quality of life is, again, among nothing you would have ever experienced unless your from here. You may be used to big apartments or a spacious house, i can tell you, if your looking to be in Manhattan, Don't keep those expectations. Typical one bedrooms in manhattan are about 600 Sq ft or equivalent to an upscale kitchen. I can assure you we have some of the best pizza on the planet, and that is a personal opinion. Food here is incredible, and the night life is un imaginable. You can literally no to a night club at anytime, bars close at 3-5 am, quant little coffee shops are popping up everywhere so although its a huge city there is still small town feel.

As a Realtor, Federal Fair Housing Laws prohibit me from speaking on Best or worst Neighborhoods. So what i can say is, Chelsea is a very expensive and highly diverse section of Manhattan, with co-op prices soaring into the 10's of millions of dollars. As well SoHo (otherwise regarded as "south of Houston St.) consists of about the same. Expensive Eateries, shopping, and homes make up these sections of lower Manhattan.

For further information about housing refer to Streeteasy,.com

I really hope this helps. If it does please vote it the best answer or give a thumbs up

All the Best,

Daniel D'Amico
347.928.2021
Karen Cheung, Agent, New York, NY
Sun Nov 24, 2013
There are websites that describe New York neighborhoods. NY times or NY mag has some articles like this :
http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/
They can give you a general overview. The best way to know a neighborhood is to visit it. Neighborhoods vary for everyone so when some people say East Village is great... I find people who prefer Midtown West tend not to like East Village. There's similar vibes to some of these neighborhoods.

Feel free to send me an email of what you'd like to know about a neighborhood and I can share specific insights. I was an NY transplant. I love walking around NYC so I've grown to know it well - not just Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Hoboken and Jersey City too.

Hope this helps.

Karen Cheung
917.334.9544
kcheung@citihabitats.com
This is a huge help!
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Sun Nov 24, 2013
Since you state "a possible move in two years" take the time and visit areas of interest more than once, also research online; keep in mind that "best neighborhood" is subjective and best should be defined/dictated by personal preferences, budget, wants, needs, lifestyle, etc.
Karen Cheung, Agent, New York, NY
Wed Dec 4, 2013
Feel free to contact me when you visit. I'd be happy to share an overview of neighborhoods for you to visit.

Karen Cheung
917.334.9544
kcheung@citihabitats.com
Thomas Brady, Agent, Plainview, NY
Mon Dec 16, 2013
There are plenty of on-line resources to help you narrow your search. Unfortunately trying to gauge rents in two years is difficult, generally Manhattan goes up and up, but that isn't a definite. Start by researching current rental or purchase prices so you know what areas you may be able to afford. After gathering the affordable areas, do further research and finally visit the contenders before moving to get a feel for the area. Good luck.
Tom Brady SFR, e-PRO, SRES, BPOR
Licensed Associate Broker
Notary Public, Retired N.Y.P.D. Lt.
631-682-8660
Tom@BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.BradyFamilyRealty.com
http://www.SuffolkFreeCMA.com
http://www.NassauFreeCMA.com
#1 Listing & Selling Office on Long Island
Charles Rutenberg Realty, Inc.
255 Executive Drive - Suite 208
Plainview, New York 11803
John Peitler, Agent, NY,
Fri Dec 13, 2013
Please contact me for assistance. My name is Erika and I can be reached at 917-335-8569, Thank you and good luck.
Smurden00%40…, Home Buyer,
Wed Dec 4, 2013
everyone is a great help. Thank you! I plan to come up my Spring break March 10 through 16.
Bob Meyerson, Agent, Mamaroneck, NY
Mon Nov 25, 2013
Have or get 3 sources of credit card or similar debt that you pay promptly on. that is not to say that you need to owe anything but they want to see how you buy and pay. Call me if you need more help 914-813-1917
Ella Chavers, Agent, New York, NY
Mon Nov 25, 2013
all of these answers are very good, I would like to to add, visit the various neighborhoods when you find one you like, go there early in the morning and evenings.