Are there any grants available to make a house asthma friendly?

Asked by Amy Eyre, 19711 Wed Apr 16, 2008

My daughter, who is a minor, has asthma. We are currently looking for a new to us home. According to her doctor she needs central air and that carpeting is not a good idea. We should also have an air filter. I've heard there are central air filter models but know they are costly. Finding a home with central air and hardwood floors may not be issue even though our price range is on the lower end for the area we need to be in. However, the filter might be more than we can afford. Are there any grants to help families with asthmatic children make the home improvements they need? If so who would I contact and when should I contact them?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Paul B. Perez, , Austin, TX
Wed Apr 16, 2008
I am going to park here so I can be in the know about this one. Most grants can be found on county, city, and state websites. Another option is to ask for concessions from the seller whenever you find that house you want. You can stipulate that the seller must install the central air filter you need so that you don't have to worry about having to come up with the money to do it yourself. The same can be done with wood floors.
1 vote
Paul, , Grand Rapids, MI
Wed Nov 20, 2013
The National Center for Healthy Housing ( is at the hub of the wheel when it comes to resources for families to address asthma triggers in housing. This is a growing field. Some communities may have grant or loan programs to address asthma triggers in housing supported by HUD and occasionally by EPA or private philanthropy.

While most of the funding is through HUD, the EPA currently has the best information on their website.
0 votes
Kat, Home Buyer, Mountainville, NY
Thu Aug 9, 2012
I am in the same Boat. My son has ashma and a low immune system. We had bought a real fixer upper house and it is in need of lots of repairs. It has been effecting my sons health. I am looking for a site as well that can help me with improvements with for an ashmatic child. Would be greatful if anyone knows of one. Thank you.
0 votes
Maricela And…, Agent, Austin, TX
Mon Apr 21, 2008
You should check with your Local government offices to see if they an agency like the one here in El Paso, TX for special care and disabled persons. We have what is known as HOYO= Home of your Own. This agency assists with funds to widen hallways, install bathroom items for handicapped, or ramps for wheelchairs, etc. but the family must first qualify; These funds are extended when there is a written contract on a home which the agency wil inspect the property to meet their guidelines. Hopefully there is such an agency in Delaware.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more