Air & Air Pollution effects in Irvine?

Asked by Sam Irvine, Irvine, CA Tue Jan 5, 2010

Many homes in Irvine are close to freeways (less than 1.5 miles). As a resident/prospect, are you not worried about the effects of pollution?

Answers

7
Bob Georgiou, Agent, Danville, CA
Tue Jan 5, 2010
San,

It's very interesting that you post this the day after the the CARB demands builders go through a process that considers air quality as part of the environmental review and disclosure.

It's not bad enough that the busy bodies in Sacramento come out with more burdensome and unnecessary legislation in the name of protecting the population from the patenlty obvious in the most expensive way possible, that suddenly a question happens to appear on the topic wondering if people are worried about this?

Its not bad enough that the Califonia economy is in shambles, unemployment is at 12%, the state is spending money irresponsibly and can't balance it's books that we have bureaucrats and their sycophantic minions seeking popular support for their unnecessary and expensive rule making.

If this was REALLY a concern, a one page disclosure could be made at a cost of, oh I don't know, say ONE DOLLAR, that discloses to homeowners that choose to buy and live next to a freeway may be hazardous to their health. Oh, no but not CARB! That brain trust instead comes down with monolithic and expensive process for every home in California. A process that will further drive the costs up on the most expensive real estate in the country even higher, slowing construction and job development and moving the american dream further out of the reach of ordinary Californians.

This nonsense is why this state is broke and broken.
Web Reference:  http://bob2sell.com
Danielle Hal…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Jun 28, 2015
I think parents sitting in an idling cars waiting for their kids around all the schools in the area
is something we should all discourage
We have many recent new immigrants here, that compared to their homeland
thier is no problem here!
Kids w asthma shouldn't have the air around the schools so toxic

PLEASE TURN YOUR CAR OFF WHENEVER POSSIBLE
ESPECIALLY AROUND SCHOOLS!!!
Thom Colby, Agent, Irvine, CA
Wed Jan 6, 2010
Hi Sam -

I'm answering this one from a different perspective.

I have lived in Irvine off and on since 1991 and have been a VERY SEVERE asthmatic since birth (too many years ago to admit). When I originally arrived here from Boston in 1991, I had typically have been in the "ER" at least 2 days a month for the prior 5 years. There was no question that I had to live within 1 mile of a hospital in Boston and did live close to the Irvine Hospital for years. When I first got to SoCal, air quality was a big concern. I have only been in the hospital once for asthma since I moved here. For me, air quality is not an issue in Irvine.

Obviously as others have said, be careful not to be too close to freeways or industrial areas and if you have respiratory issues take precautions as have also been suggested. Yes, when the fires are active, it can be a problem so I head towards the ocean and enjoy what SoCal is all about.....

Best of luck,

Thom Colby
Broker & REALTOR
Orange County, CA
949-887-5500
Web Reference:  http://www.thomcolby.com
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Wed Jan 6, 2010
Hi Sam,

Is Irvine really your last name :).....

I think Air Pollution is definatly something to consider in buying a home. I have a second home in Lake Arrowhead, and when I drive down that mountain road and see the layer of smog over the valley below....it always makes me cringe. This is a site for Air Quality in California,

http://www.arb.ca.gov/homepage

I hope it helps. I'm not sure about the specific problems with air in Irvine...but I know I'd stay away from homes too close to the freeway, if only because of the noise.

Karen
Satar Naghsh…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Tue Jan 5, 2010
Hi Sam,

I own three properties in Irvine. They are spread around Irvine. None of my properties have any issues with air pollution or has it's affects. I guess being close to the ocean, we don't have that issue as you would expect.

Noise pollution, well, that's a different story! ;)

Satar Naghshineh
Robin Fenchel, Agent, Irvine, CA
Tue Jan 5, 2010
Hi Sam,
We would suggest that if you are concerned with air quality then you look for properties that are not near either freeways or major thoroughfares. You may want to consider looking for homes/condos that are situated closer
to the ocean/bay--perhaps in South Irvine. Generally speaking, air pollution has not been a major concern except
for those occasions when we have had smoke and ash from wildfires in outliying areas. I have found a site that
you can go to in order to check out the air quality in the various zip codes in Irvine or the surrounding cities in
which you are interested in looking for properties: http://airnow.gov
From what I gleened from this site, it looks as if Irvine's air quality is listed as "Good"
Hope this helps.
Robin and Eric Fenchel
Century 21 Professionals
Web Reference:  http://Robin4Homes.com
Steven Lefler, Agent, Irvine, CA
Tue Jan 5, 2010
Sam,

Yes...the home's location to a freeway is always troubling when buying or selling. The ideal potential homeowner should be hard of hearing and blind to not notice the freeway location... just kidding!

I stumbled upon a way to solve the air quality of homes near freeways. I build modular homes through CA. The "Duetworx" by Ecoquest inserts into your HVAC duct work and removes contaminants. Most homeowners I have worked with do not leave their windows open due to their close proximity of noise and pollutants.

I hope this is helpful.