Property Q&A in Los Angeles>Question Details

airdahlin, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

there is an unpermitted granny flat on my property I want to build another permitted structure will I have an inspection problem?

Asked by airdahlin, Los Angeles, CA Sat Mar 30, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Anything you build now will have to conform to today's zoning and building and safety standards. That is the first part of the equation.

The second issue is whether or not the city will require to bring to compliance an unpermitted structure. The City has the power (and duty) to make you comply with zoning laws... so if they discover it, they may make you tear it down... they will likely discover it, if they come to the property for any reason (including inspecting a new build)

In the city of LA you need at least a 7,500 Sq Ft lot in order to build a granny flat (no more than 640 Sq Ft of living space) in an R1 zoned lot.

All this said... go to the Planning Desk in the Building and Safety department of your city, and you will get the final answer.

Ron Escobar, MBA
Broker & General Contractor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
Your permit drawings will show it as existing, however, once they check things out and inspectors come, they will more than likely catch it.
Did you build it and you know it is un-permitted?
If not perhaps you should go to the various Planning and assessors offices to see if there are some permits on file.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
In applying for a building permit you will trigger inspections which will probably lead to either applying for permits to legalize your unpermitted structure or demo if it does not conform to current zoning and building codes. If it has been there long enough and was built in a workmanlike manner as well as possible taxed by assesor you may be able to get grandfathered so you won't have to demo. It's a gamble.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
I agree with Sonya - best way to start is to consult with your local department of building and safety. They should be able to tell you what are the requirements for your project and what permits/inspections you will need.

Help with Any Real Estate Transaction - Buy or Sell  

Call me 424-777-9377 -  FREE CONSULTATION!  

Should you have any questions - please feel free to call me Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 (1-855-878-7855)  ext. 777. 

Sergey Fednov 
President - Realtor® 
- Trust Sale Realty - 
Residential & Commercial Real Estate 
Toll Free: 1-855-TRUST-55 
Toll Free: 1-855-878-7855 
Phone: 424-777-9377 
Fax: 310-356-4925 
- We Hire CA Licensed Real Estate Agents - 
Lic# 01896869 
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
You might. If your property is in Los Angeles check with the Los Angeles Department of Building and Safety. They'll let you know if you can add another structure.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 30, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer