Property Q&A in Los Angeles>Question Details

Ybk33, Home Buyer in Pacoima, CA

the rental property I stay in has been on the market for sale. the Broker/rental agent has been speaking to me instead of my landlord. he first

Asked by Ybk33, Pacoima, CA Fri Dec 7, 2012

showed the property and said, "I have a buyer, you have to move in the next 21 days" and much mure. I then called the landlord, he stated that it wasn't in escrow yet and that would take at least 30 days...well today the Broker/Agent called me again, I didn't answer...he text me stating the property has been sold and it has to be vacated." I know he is not supoose to contact me, but he has and I feel harassed... the landlord has not called me yet and I don't plan to call them. what is my rights in California and how long do I have to stay in my renatal before vacating. I am month to month.

Help the community by answering this question:


First off, you have tenant rights. Tell the real estate agent that any communications need to go through your landlord.

What type of property do you live in? A single family home? Are there additional units on the property? If there are 2 or more units on the property, you may be subject to the Los Angeles Rent Stabilization Ordinance. I believe that Pacoima falls under the City of Los Angeles jurisdiction. An easy way to determine that is if LAPD responds to 911 calls...if they do, your covered. If the Sheriff Department does, your not.

Also, depending upon how long you have lived at this property, and if it is a single family home, the notice to vacate may be up to 90 days. A formal notice must be served. They can not just kick you out by telling you verbally.

However, you may want to call the Rent Stabilization Ordinance Hotline for the City of Los Angeles to check out your rights. 1-866-557-RENT

Good luck!

All the best,

0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
The short version is 30 day notice if you've been there for 6 months, and 60 day notice if you've been there for over a year. Call a lawyer to find your rights and what actions you need to take. You first need a formal notice to evict from your landlord or management company.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
Here you go.
This will tell you everything you need to know. You are right, the Broker has no right to contact you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 9, 2012
It sounds like that this broker/agent wants the house vacant to sell it but is not following a legal process.

Your issues should be addressed to the owner only with or without your legal representation.

Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
if the property is for sale the owner has to talk to you and let you know that the property is for sale ,he has to give you at least 30 days for you to find a new place to move ,is extrange how they sold the property if the buyer never look at the interior and never had a home inspection done , you should look for legal representation if you feel being harrassed or mistreated ,as real estate agent we are not suppost to discuss any legal matters or questions .iam very sorry i can not help .
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
It has been my experience that if you're on a month to month lease BUT you've been living in the home & on the month to month tenancy for 1 yr or more then 60 days notice is required.

See this link, if you hover over the bottom of the page a gray bar will appear & you can click on the Adobe Acrobat Reader icon & then quickly get to pg. 50, bottom right hand corner verifies what I said above about 60 days notice.

Just call your landlord or call the agent back & refer him or her to this pdf link about tenant rights, it is going to likely be in the landlord's or the buyer's best interest to either let you stay OR buy you out, depending on if the new owner is an investor & wants you to stay (which that doesn't sound like the case) or the buyer wants to move in. So, if you can move out in 30 days & then ask for 1mo worth of rent to help you put up a security deposit at the next place.

Emily S. Knell
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Realty ONE Group
Short Sale Specialist - 100% success rate
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
If the buyer is planning on living in it for at least a year then 30 day notice is required. Under other conditions it can be 60 days. If you don't like the uncertainty then you should find a new place. if you like the place you can wait and see if the transaction doesn't close (for example buyer doesnt get their financing) but then you might have to scramble.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 7, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer