i am looking to rent out my condo, but i am not a us citizen. property managemnt company say i need a tin number b 4 they will take property on board

Asked by Mee, Las Vegas, NV Wed Apr 6, 2011

are all property management companies going to want me to provide a tin number first. irs will not give me a number as i am not a usa citizen and i have not yet filed a tax return !!! i have not rented out my condo yet so i do not / cannot fill out a tax return... any suggestions or advice....

Answers

6
Myra Gouger, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 6, 2011
Go to the http://www.irs.gov website to get the paperwork for the ITIN. I think you can do most things here online. You need the number so that the management company can properly post the payments to your account. You can take this out at any time, but it is best to do it before youhave rented out your condo as most management companies will not take you as a client without it.. You don't need to be a US citizen to get an ITIN number. If you are in the USA, you can go to most physical irs offices and they will help you, otherwise you can get the documents online from the website I gave above.
Elizabeth Va…, , Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 6, 2011
you can file the itin with any tax company
Elizabeth Va…, , Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 6, 2011
are you living with someone else that has a ss number?
John Brassner, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 6, 2011
(sorry, Allan, I see you beat me to it, don't mean to be redundant)
John Brassner, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 6, 2011
Yes, you must have a TIN (ITIN to be more exact, in your case). When you say you aren't a citizen, are you also not a resident of the U.S.? Talk to a tax specialist or accountant about your situation. You should definitely be able to get an ITIN as the government would love to make sure you pay your taxes. Did you actually talk to the IRS and they said no, they won't issue one? Seems peculiar. I have clients from China, Canada, Australia, and other places and they have had no issue getting their iTIN for their investment properties.
Allan Loving…, Other Pro, Las Vegas, NV
Wed Apr 6, 2011
mee - this is allan lovinge and i am a property manager in las vegas. they are mostly correct. you need either a ssn or an itin number from the irs as the rent is income to you and you may be liable for u s income tax. you can get this number for free and it has nothing to do with having already paid any tax. the truth is we can manage and rent it but cannot send you any money until you have this done. talk to your accountant or go to irs.gov and search for itin. this should help. if you have any other questions i can be reached at 702-743-3461 or allan@cbwardley.com. thanks, allan