how much is the average commission for a rental in california to the agent that brings the tenant?

Asked by Propertymanager99, Los Angeles, CA Thu Sep 16, 2010

Answers

7
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
It can be a flat fee or a percentage. I don't do a lot of rental listings, but I did one recently & I just looked around at other comparable rentals in that specific neighborhood to see what other agents were offering & went off of that. I was offering about $600 & our rent price was $2000/mo. The percentage was 2.5% based on the total lease term ($24,000 X 2.5%).

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Janey Bishop, Agent, Encino, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
In our area most are offered at 5% but one month gets the best response and the more qualified clients.
Marilyn Jenne, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Whew! I'd bring a client for a month's rent (that's over 8% per annum). At least in LA, a majority are posting 3% of the first year's gross rental--which is why no agents focus on leases. You can choose to be typical--or have the favored opinion of many agents bringing clients to you.
Victor Quiroz, Agent, Covina, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Ideally 3-10% of the lease term for most residential properties.
Web Reference:  http://www.victor4homes.com
Kenya Reeves…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Hi property manager,
It varies in LA County. I've seen between 3 and 10% depending on what the owner and the realtor that list the property decide.
Hope this helps!
Peter Stewart, Agent, Carmel, IN
Thu Sep 16, 2010
Generally the agent gets 2.5-3% of the total lease amount. For example, if you sign a 1 year lease at $2k per month, that is $24k total so the commission paid would be $720 to the agent that brought the buyer.
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Thu Sep 16, 2010
One month rent is typical. Owners may try to negotiate or spread payments over time, but that's a typical amount.