Property Q&A in Cheyenne>Question Details

Givingface, Home Owner in Cheyenne, WY

can a landlord bother me by who is spending the night in my home?

Asked by Givingface, Cheyenne, WY Wed Jun 20, 2012

i own my trailor and i keep getting notes stating that i have someone living with me. i live alone but i have a girlfriend who spends the night sometimes. she lives in her own place and i keep being asked whos staying with me. i have told them i have no one living with me but i keep getting notes in the mail and on my door. what can i do?

Do you have a rental agreement? A written agreement should state who is allowed to live on the premises and it should include a clause regarding guests and how long they are allowed to stay. For example, my lease agreements list every tenant - by name - that is authorized to live on the premises permanently. It also spells out that guests are allowed to stay up to 14 days. A girlfriend staying over on occasion, even for the weekend, would be legally construed as a guest, not a tenant.

Unless the Landlord put something in writing, you are within your legal rights to have a friend, girlfriend, or other guests stay with you on a temporary basis.