anyone have experience purchasing land in malibu for a kit home?

Asked by TMS, Los Angeles, CA Sat Jun 2, 2012

just starting to think about purchasing land in Malibu for a kit home (not trailer) and was wondering if anyone has done this, were there many road blocks, what their overall experience was buying land in Malibu, etc. thanks!

Answers

18
Tom Bates, Agent, Malibu, CA
Mon Jun 4, 2012
Tom Bates Malibu Realty Inc.

I beg to differ on years for a permit approval.

#1. Many modular home already have County/City approva the the model.Check Silver Crest or anothe large modular manfacturer.

#2. Coastal is not that difficult if you are in a small lot sub-division or in a developed area. They will restrict you to a 10,000 sq ft building site on land over one acre. If the project dosen't require a great deal of grading or brush removal you should be able to hire an expiditer to push the approval through in a year or less.

#3. Your initial approvals of geology( including solis and perculation tests) are limited to two years I believe.( if it goes longer you may have to update) You should have these approval in hand prior to the close of escrow as athey are a contingency of sale. This along with the approval of foundation costs. You should be ok!

THE MAIN PROBLEM RIGHT NOW IS THERE IS NO FINANCING AVAILABLE FROM AND BANK..

Just know up front that you can do the preliminary work now but you won't be able to build for a few years as there is no financing. How ever if you have sah you can move ahead.

Best of Luck!!
Rosalind Nel…, Agent, Malibu, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Yes, many. As a land and permitting specialist for the last 32 years in Malibu I have helped many people in their endeavor to keep their costs low by using a 'kit' type structure.

However, here are a few things to consider - the most costly item in construction in Malibu is the foundation - we have expansive soil conditions that require beefed up foundations. Also, most people who come to Malibu desire some ocean views - that means land that is either hillside or with a fair amount of slope which entails caisson foundations and grade beams - hence the added costs for foundations.

There are many other things I would like to share with you but too many to type.

Give me a call and we can chat 310 457 5877 or
Ros Nelson
CA REB #00799433 exp 3/17/2015
Good mornin I just bought land in malibu 8.3 acre.
Latino canyon rd maribu California. I already approved costal commission for building a house
I am wondering if I can resell it . Should I advertise to broker. Advise me thaks
Flag Wed Feb 8, 2017
Brian Goldbe…, Agent, Malibu, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
I have heard this "dream" from so many land buyers. Many want to build "green homes" or "container homes" or something "off the grid" and "environmentally friendly". The most environmentally friendly way to live is to "re-use" someone else's house.The diesel exhaust alone that will be spewed to truck the concrete and steel for the foundation would likely choke a small village. (I live in a home built in 1950 with hand tools). If you really must build something new, understand that you are in for a 5+ year, banging your head against the wall, cash-burning process that will likely drain both your wallet and your patience, and leave you selling the land for much less than you put into it. (Hopefully you had some nice picnics there). There are only 2 types of people that should be buying land in Malibu - professional developers/builders/architects, or someone with a lot of cash that absolutely cannot find a home anywhere that could be easily remodeled into their dream and understands the process. With interest rates at historic lows, and prices where they are, getting a mortgage now at under 4% interest will leave you way ahead if/when you finally have built your kit home and go to finance it and interest rates are 12.75%. The smart buy now is finding a single family home/condo, putting 20% down, getting a fixed mortgage at under 4% and enjoying your new home in 30 days, not 5+ years. Good Luck.
Youre an idiot.
Flag Thu Feb 13, 2014
Rosalind Nel…, Agent, Malibu, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Apologies my email address had a typo Ros Nelson
Hi. Great to see you. Long story short. I want to buy land back in Malibu Hills with view and put an Airstream trailer and live on it. Looking at http://qcode.us/codes/malibu/ "17.40.040 Residential development standards" #18. Says can only have trailers in Mobile home parks or during construction. I've seen AirBNB Airstreams in Malibu Hills. How can I do this. Maybe I can hire you to help.. Thx
Flag Mon Aug 22, 2016
partnersusa@mac.com
Flag Sat Jun 2, 2012
janicegreco, Agent, Palm Springs, CA
Thu Nov 14, 2013
Hello, yes I was also thinking of the same thing. What has been your results/
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Tue Jun 11, 2013
Having been in the MH industry for the past 3 decades and being an ardent believer and proponent of the industry I have to acquiesce to Brian Golberg's comment; At least for that geographic area. It is indeed like pulling hens teeth. You would be a lot better off financially and sound piece of mind and ahead of the game if you did purchase an existing home.
When purchasing make sure all is up to code and permits. So you will not have to tear it down. I think.
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013
Danielle Cha…, Home Buyer, Malibu, CA
Tue Jun 11, 2013
Also suggest Tiny House Listings and Little House on the TRailer- there are many others - much more creative and architectural than Silver Crest or traditional manu- homes- these new companies in the field are ego friendly which most manu's are not- and much more interesting design wise- some really talented people are in this field- but you all know that
no longer is it the creepy stigma it used to be
Danielle Cha…, Home Buyer, Malibu, CA
Tue Jun 11, 2013
Recently I responded to an ad for 2.5 acres above Las Flores- around the 1000 number area- two parcels for sale- the other one next to it for 10 acres-
both under 100K- this is what the seller told me:

He bought them both at auction for under 20K
The water was about 300 ft down and cost $20 a ft to dig or could be delivered with a holding tank-
and that the utilities were not far- and about 5-10 K to run to the property-
and
that you could put an alternative structure on without a pad or foundation IF IT'S ON WHEELS-
so you can have any number of the newer small residences available now from a nice renovated Airstream to anything on wheets-

I found this exciting but a bit hard to believe- the road is graded enough he said to pass except after weeks of rain ( what a nice fantasy that is )

If this were the case- I would think the hills with all this undeveloped land would be covered in these things- but it's an exciting concept if done well- any truth to all this?

thanks
Danielle - I want to find out about those undeveloped land auctions if it is true
Hell All,
You can not park you trailer on your vacant lot and just live in it "off grid". The County of LA has a few vague rules that address this. Also you should know that in order to get any utilities to the site you need to have a building permit for a house which does not come fast or cheap. As far as I know you need to park you trailer in a trailer park. If you park it on the street check out the parking restrictions some areas do not allow trailers to be parked on the street at all. Your best bet is to buy a little house in the area you can afford. Pascaline@compass.com
Flag Sat Sep 17, 2016
Great Idea. I wanted to put an Airstream up, but it looks like Malibu Muni Code http://qcode.us/codes/malibu/ " 17.40.040 Residential development standards." 18 Says Temporary MobileHomes or Trailers 'Used as Residence' during construction can only be 2 years. --- Hmmm Does this apply.. It seems it would kill my whole idea. -I've seen several Airstreams on AirBNB in Malibu. Wonder how they do it.
Flag Mon Aug 22, 2016
Danielle, have you found any additional information about what you have written here? Particularly the home on wheels concept?
Flag Wed Oct 8, 2014
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Brian, not talking "KIT". I'm talking "FACTORY BUILT" completely finished and ready to install "MODULAR". You're right the preliminary workup can and probably will take years in that area. But the actual installation and completion time of the home is de minimis.
Brian Goldbe…, Agent, Malibu, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Yes, John the kit could be put up in a week, but the "preliminary procedures" are what take years.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Brian, I agree with your summation on the comparison between "site" vs "Kit". That sounds like a reasonable window. However, should the owner/builder choose to go with "Factory Built" the actual installation time would be a matter of weeks once the sections have been delivered to the site. So once all the preliminary procedures and issues have been put to bed the rest is pretty rudimentary.
Brian Goldbe…, Agent, Malibu, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
The cost/time benefits of building the "kit home" versus a custom home are basically the design costs/time for the house itself, and the construction costs/time of the home itself. Instead of likely 5+ years it will be more likely 3+ years, because the kit will go up in a week as instead of 1-2 years for a traditional home. The costs/time for approvals for planning, geology, soils engineering, percolation testing and onsite water treatment, building and safety, fire department regulations including access and fire-flow, grading, drainage and civil engineering, fuel modification plans, landscape design, biology and archeology as well as foundation and septic construction costs will all be roughly the same as a similar size/type custom home. Hope that clears it up a bit.
Web Reference:  http://www.brokermalibu.com
Most of us here like fantasy role playing, where we play the role of lucky property buyers who get a magical steal of a deal with ocean views and make a unique and beautiful house out of recycled trash for under $5000.

Stuff like this post has the risk of making our drug induced fantasies into a bad "downer" trip.
Flag Fri Mar 24, 2017
Bah...humbug to you too, Brian.
Flag Sun Jan 26, 2014
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
Brian, I'd certainly like to hear from other professionals about your opinion. Not being a Malibu resident I really can't and won't render an opinion on this thread but it would certainly be interesting to get a cross section of opinions.
TMS, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Jun 3, 2012
thanks for all of the great info!
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Phew! I'm just a 30 year experienced MH pro looking into this. Judging from what I've read so far I'd be getting a hold of Rosiland ASAP for a start.
Tom Bates, Agent, Malibu, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
Tom Bates Malibu Realty Inc. (35 years in Malibu)

Silver Crest homes are the best. Their product is steel I beamed frame and is welded to the foundation.(EarthQuake Proof) Their models are pre approved by Ventura, Los Angeles County Building and Safety.
Nearest Sales outlet is in Oxnard Ca. The factory is in Corona about a 1 1/2 hour drive from Malibu. They have a weekly tour of the factory every Saturday am starting at 8:30 am with coffee & donuts. They have about 15 sales models their and can build to your specics if you have your own drawing however the home must meet certain dimentions for the factory to produce. The have contractors on line to build approved foundations and mount the modulars on them It takes about six weeks from start to finish. You must have a sewage disposal system and water and electric on site. The engineering must be approved by the local Building & Safety Dept..

You might check if they have aby models that people were unable to finish the purchase of. You can save up to 50% on these if any are availabel.

Financing is the problem today there isn't any. The had a arrangement eith Bank America at one time. Who knows today they might self finance?
This may not be feasible at this time but I can help you get the process started.

If you want the best agent call me @310-739-4886
Just wanted to give you a Heads Up. I've been a Silvercrest Dealer and Manuftactured Home (C-47) and General (B-1) contractor & developer, expert witness as well as a real estate broker for the past 30+ years. There is no such thing as "EARTHQUAKE PROOF".

I was actually retained on a case once for "MISREPRESENTATION" because a RE Professional told a homebuyer that their home was EARTHQUAKE PROOF. The deal was actually unwound and the broker and salesperson were fined.
Flag Thu Nov 14, 2013
Bruce Kent, Agent, MALIBU, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
As long zs you meet the permitting requirements, there are no specific "road blocks" to a "kit home." As mentioned, a QUALIFIED land use expert can be most helpful in the process.
BRUCE KENT,CDPE
RE/MAX BEACH CITIES
License #: 01299413 -
310-457-9082 (direct)
310-486-2163 (mobile)
brucekentmalibu@charter.net
http://www.brucekent.homesandland.com
Endre Barath, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Sat Jun 2, 2012
TMS I specialize in Land Sales, the challenges in Malibu are :1. Coastal Commission, 2. Malibu approval 3. Water 4. Sewer and Hillside Ordinance to name a few. The best thing to do is have an expediter who can halp you massage it thru. Plan on lots of time and roadblocks for approval!
Web Reference:  http://www.endrebarath.com