a friend bought a condo years back, and since then the board has created a "no-subletting" clause.

Asked by Thomas.desenfants, Chicago, IL Fri Feb 24, 2012

...She just had her second child and needs a larger space. What options does she have for subletting (not selling) the condo?

Answers

5
Anthony Cava…, Agent, Jolier, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Talk to an attorney, but I believe there is a mechanism she can use that gives revocable ownership interest to the tenant. That keeps the condo "owner-occupied" (though in name only) for tax and condo purposes. I don't remember the exact terminology for this, but a competent attorney might.
Thomas Kosto…, Agent, Arlington Heights, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
I'll Assume She Is An Owner Looking To Rent Her Condo Instead Of Selling It As Opposed To A Renter Looking To Sublet-If There Are Currently No Renting Of Units By Any New Condo Buyers/Owners-She Could Be "Grandfathered" in To Being Able To Rent Her Unit Or If She Can't Sell Because Her Mortgage Is More Than The Unit Is Worth-She May Be Able To Rent Due To Hardship-She Would Have To Get Clarity From Her Association On This
Thomas.desen…, Home Buyer, Chicago, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Ok.. I got my terminology mixed up. I meant She is the owner of the condo, and wants to lease it out. The condo board restricts leasing of the condo units. What are her options?
John Potter, , Cook County, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Very rarely do tenants sublease. Therefore, this owner should have no problem with leasing and adhering to condo rules.
Anthony Cava…, Agent, Jolier, IL
Fri Feb 24, 2012
Is it no subletting or no leasing? Subletting generally refers to a lessee who wishes to lease the condo to another person. If a person who owns a condo is leasing it out, it is not subletting.