I think given the price, the bathroom situation is an issue.
1. Appraisal data shows this between 2100-2200 sq ft. Of the homes in Lavista with 2 baths it's the second highest priced.
2. There has been only one other home sold over 500K since 01/08 and that was similarly updated with a basement and fourth bedroom.
3. If I look only at 3BR/2B homes then this is the highest listing, next one is 146K less.
4. There are two sales 3BR/2B homes in the mid 400's, then into the 300's
5. This sits on a crawlspace foundation.
Statisitically, the house is well overpriced in my opinion as a broker AND appraiser. It looks gorgeous and well taken care of, but so do many others. While it's probably more attractive than many I see, I don't know that if it sold it would appraise, and since I have been appraising 20 years now that's usually where I quickly go to to ensure a deal makes sense.
Functionally, the master sharing the bathroom with two other bedrooms isn't desirable. In my opinion at this price point, it's not an option, I want a dedicated master bath. Going downstairs to shower is functionally obsolete, but many of us grew up in homes where functional obsolescence existed.
This home is not likely to draw a family due to that issue. It might draw a couple with an older child, but I can't see a young family in here. A couple, sure as guests might be inconvenienced by it but so be it. So is it odd? Using today's standards it is but this home was built in '62 when expectations were different. My concern here is price and resale for my client - as the owners are finding out.
Hope this helps -
Hank Miller, SRA, ABR
Associate Broker & Certified Appraiser
Prudential GA Realty