Ellen, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

You have my house listed as only 1,264 sq feet. It's a 3 story house, with basement...over 2100 square feet. It is identical to the house next door

Asked by Ellen, Brooklyn, NY Sat Dec 14, 2013

170 71 street and 166 71 street are both identical to my house. Check the difference in price and square footage on each house. Trulia's credibility is in question here.

This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/New_York/Brooklyn/sold/20911907-…

Dear Ellen:

For the most part those numbers are copied from what is listed on public records. You can go to the web site http://www.PropertyShark.com to pull up this type of information. Also, sometimes you can have similar homes, but if one homeowner converted the basement to legal living space, this would increase the square footage that is shown on public record.

On occasion there could be typographical errors on public records. The only way to be certain of your homes actual square footage would be to actually measure it up. If you need help with that feel free to contact me direct, I can show you how.

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales/ e-Pro Realtor
Fillmore Real Estate
Office: (718) 252-2000/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
Keep in mind that third party sites receive information from various sources, therefore if the data is inaccurate from that feeding source, inexactness can and does occur....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
I can sell it for you if you are having issues with the Broker you are working with. They typically do not include the Square Feet of the basement as it is not "legal livable space". Also, many websites do not always have the correct information. The numbers still sound a bit off though. Send me an email of how much you are looking for and I will bring you a cash buyer looking in this area. We will still pay the Broker you are working with so it will be a kosher transaction. kroyer@halstead.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 15, 2013
The information for the linked property is the City public record.
The City records are often wrong, they do not count basements, cellars, extensions or garages. Which is why when you are looking at square feet always take it with a grain of salt so to speak.
Even with new condo developments; is it net square feet inside the walls? Does it include all the proportionate share of common space that is part of what you are purchasing? Is it just the useable space or does it count duct shafts etc.?
There are many ways to measure square feet.
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
If the data were incorrect about your property, you'd better speak to your listing agent first. Trullia, in general, doesn't input data themself. Instead, listing agents do.