Why it's disclosed as 4 bedrooms, when it is only 3?. misrepresented, so comps can't be accurate

Asked by Carlos, Chula Vista, CA Thu Nov 4, 2010

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3020029408-1575-Mendocino-Dr-…

Answers

6
Kari Shea, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Hi Carlos,

Bottom line is the tax records are often inaccurate, we run across this all of the time. When modifications are made with permits, the tax record rarely reflects the changes.

The agent will market the property for what it is rather than what the tax record says UNLESS it is a bank owned listing. The banks require us to market the property based on what the tax record states, regardless of the number of bedrooms.

Best of luck,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
Serving Greater San Diego County
Jacklyn Lamk…, Agent, Del Mar, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
This happens quite a bit actually, when the tax records reflect less rooms than the home actually has. This is due to the owner adding on or combining two rooms into one.

Tax records should be more accurate - but it's really up to the agent to due their homework in letting their client know the actual number of beds., baths.

There are plenty to choose from in this price range around Chula Vista.

Please let me know, and I'll be glad to take you. Thank you!

Jacklyn Lamkin Dougan
REO/Short Sale Specialist
Realty Executives Dillon
Eastlake Office
619-957-0600
DRE#
01797149
Cory La Scala, Agent, San Diego, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Hi Carlos,

Marcie's right, the tax records do show that this home has four bedrooms.

According to the San Diego County Web site, a bedroom is defined as "A habitable room totaling at least seventy (70) square feet in size, considered suitable for sleeping purposes, regardless of whether or not the room contains or has access to a closet and a full or 3/4 bathroom, and does nor directly open to a garage or other bedroom."

That being said, maybe the owner combined two smaller rooms to make one large room, and the records don't reflect that. In any case, the property is in escrow now.

If you'd like to see other homes like this one, let me know, I'll be happy to show you the interiors so you're comfortable making an offer.
Marcie Sands, Agent, Poway, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
Carlos,

According to the tax records in Sandicor the condo has 4 Bedrooms. Have you been inside this property to see otherwise?

It is important to have your REALTOR run the comparabled for you. They will have access through the tax records to compare homes of like age, square footage, bedrooms, condition, sale type etc... You will get more accurate comps than what you see online. You are correct that a 3+ den is different than a 4 bedroom and need to take that into consideration when viewing comparables and making an offer.

Kind Regards,

Marcie Sands, REALTOR
Simply The Best Real Estate Co., Inc.
760-644-1562
Amanda Mitch…, Agent, Santee, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
It is indeed recorded as a 4 bedroom 1 and a 1/2 bath in the tax records! I haven't seen it myself, but maybe its possible a previous owner took down a wall to expand one of the other rooms...
Casey Robins…, , San Diego County, CA
Fri Nov 5, 2010
This could be a number of different reasons. You would want to look at the Tax Records to see if it is actually a 4 bedroom or a 3 Bedroom. A good rule of thumb is every room that is bedroom has a closet. Feel free to contact me if you want more information because the scenario of the question could be a lot of different answers. Have a good night