Why do I need an attorney to sell land in Massachusetts?

Asked by Janny, 01860 Tue Feb 22, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Richard Rosa, Agent, Haverhill, MA
Tue Feb 22, 2011
Hi Janny,

In Massachusetts you are not required to retain an attorney to sell a home or piece of land; however, choosing not to do so really is penny wise and pound foolish. To put it simply, you want your responsibility and liability regarding that property to cease on the day of closing. An experienced closing attorney cannot guarantee that, but he or she can take the necessary steps to make that more likely.

Good luck whatever you decide.

- Rich Rosa
Lawyer & Real Estate Broker
Mobile: 978.835.5906
Web Reference:  http://www.rosakres.com
1 vote
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Tue Feb 22, 2011
All real estate professionals must suggest that you use an attorney. Do people complete transactions without one? I have heard about it being done, but it is not suggested by any real estate licensee in MA. You should especially want one when the other side of the transaction is using one.
1 vote
Masha Sender…, Agent, Newton, MA
Tue Feb 22, 2011
You should hire an attorney to review the P&S and make sure your rights are protected and you can't be sued later for something you may not have been aware of. It seems like an unnecessary cost, but think of it as insurance that will protect you if necessary.
If you need a referral to a good attorney, I would be happy to assist.
1 vote
Heidi Zizza, Agent, Framingham, MA
Wed Feb 23, 2011
You need an Attorney to protect you against liability as well do the deed preparation and financial transers payoffs etc... Not a good idea to do it without one. If you would like some names please email me at mdmrealty@msn.com
0 votes
John, , Newburyport, MA
Tue Feb 22, 2011
hi Jenny;
you need a lawyer in Massachusetts and also in NH, the difference in NH is they use their own lawyer in NH through the title company... basically it makes the transaction go smoother allowing you a licensed leagl rep on your behalf in MA, NH on the otherhand uses the same lawyer for the closing for both parties... as a realtor, its not legal for me to give legal advice, but its in the buiyers and the sellers best interest for BOTH parties to be represented legally to insure that no problems are going to arrise... well, actually I should say to MINIMIZE them...
does that help?
John Wernsdorfer, 603-312-1040, realtor, merrimac MA
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more