Property Q&A in Miami Beach>Question Details

Marc Middlet…,  in Miami Beach, FL

Why are realtors so lazy when it comes to their listings? This is your job and how you make money!!!

Asked by Marc Middleton, Miami Beach, FL Mon Sep 17, 2012

Answers

5
I ask myself that every day. I personally feel a lot of Miami's realtors need to step it up a notch. Perhaps the lazy ones do not like what they do. Getting listings normally require work and they are doing a disservice to the owner by not marketing it properly, not knowing any information about the property, the fees, the amenities ect .. Uploading an outdated pic of the lobby and pool doesnt cut it and it is embarrassing.
Of course not all realtors are lazy. There are also many very good hard working sincere dedicated realtors that love what they do and know what they are doing. Look at a listing itself. the details. the discription, the images, and the over all information that has been entered. The listing will tell you immediately the difference between a good realtor and a bad one. As with any profession you have to find the the good ones and avoid the bad ones. I am one of those good ones by the way.... :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 17, 2012
I couldn't agree more. I love being an agent and make it my priority to provide the best service possible to all my clients. One way of doing this is by filling out all the data in put fields and being available to all agents who have questions. I have a client interested in buying a property so I followed the instructions on the listing as they stated that I needed to request a showing. About 2 hours after doing so, the agent called and said she was unavailable this evening but could we meet tomorrow around noon to show the property. I explained to her that my client works Monday thru Friday 9-5 and could only see properties in the evening. The agent huffed and puffed and finally said the words I have become so accustomed to hearing hear in Miami Beach......."Why don't you show her a bunch of other units and then if she doesn't like any of those I will see if I can possibly show mine one evening." I just have to laugh!!! It is no longer worth getting upset over.
Flag Mon Sep 17, 2012
I agree 100%
An Its ashame ,I have that problem all the time

Anthony Khouri
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 17, 2012
Marc, fortunately not all realtors are the same. I do agree totally with Mason Boggs' opinion below.
When I obtain a rental listing for example , I treat that listing as if it was as valuable as a sale listing no matter how expensive or inexpensive the transaction be. I fill in all the information required in the data-in-put-fields for the MLS. The main diffrenece between a lazy realtor and a good one is that for the good ones, Real Estate is not only a way to make money but first of all a profession.

Angel Calzadilla
Charles Rutenberg Realty
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Sep 17, 2012
I'm late on responding to this but found it after searching " Why are Realtors so Lazy "
As others mentioned, I also couldn't agree more. Beyond Lazy!!!! 95% of them I've ever encountered.
It's not just a Florida thing, I live in CT.
I can't even get one to return a call on their OWN LISTING. Even if the house was under contract you'd think they might call back to follow up on a lead of: SOMEONE BUYING A HOUSE!
Once I looked at a 1.4m dollar home. The realtor brought he grandson who decided to pull the toilet paper from the to roll in the bathroom to 4 other rooms in the home. So she kicks it all back into the bathroom as we left (Leaving it there)!
Most are SO useless! I now sell my own homes-
Marc's question is a broad based condemning statement backed by nothing other than rhetoric and personal opinion. One could argue that if one agent fills the 25 picture slots on Realtor.com with redundant images of their 2 bedroom condo, those who choose not to are lazy. What one agent chooses to do the manage their business is their business. If what has been expressed in your comment has ANY basis in fact, these agents would be quickly out of business. The evidence, however, does not support that outcome.
-
The purpose of the listing agent is to find the right buyer who will pay the highest price with the best terms for the clients property. The strategy to achieve that is agreed to by the listing agent and the seller. You do not know what was agreed to during that meeting. However, your statement assumes you know.
-
Many agents have created strategic mechanisms to sort out the chain jerkers, tire kickers and completely unqualified, because the buyer agent is not doing their job. Why are the buyer agents not thoroughly vetting their buyers. This is essential for everyone involved. It is the job of the buyer agent and essential to how WE ALL make money.
-
My greater problem is buyers agents who have no control of their clients. Just last evening, the agent calls to advise me the buyer 'disappeared' just minutes before the appointed showing. That missed appointment cost $350, plus what ever the buyer agent time was worth. 24 hour notice required, and still the buyer agent DROPPED THE BALL.
-
One could find benefit in understanding that if you want to find a more efficient/easier way to do something, put a lazy person on the job. They will find a way to make it easier...and instantly become GENIUS! Some agents may realize that unless it is on paper, it's not real. If your buyer is serious, put it on paper. Then we can talk, Short of that, one volunteers to have their time wasted.
-
The truth lies neither in the 'lazy' accusation of the question or the 'dropped the ball' aspect of my experience, but does exist in the very fabric of what makes real estate such a exciting business, the agility to create the business model most appropriate for the service provided and fees encountered.
These business models do not match across the industry. Because one model differs from another, does not make it wrong or even a disservice to the buyer or seller. They are only different. Unless you were at the table when the listing agreement was signed, you don't know what the expectation of the seller is or what the seller even expects. YOU DO NOT KNOW.
-
It is these differences that make the reliance on a professional essential. And, it should be a cause for celebration since this is the result of the demand by buyers and sellers for more options in regards to providing solutions to their real estate concerns.

If it were easy, anyone could do it. That is why there are pros. And PRO's do get the job done!

Best of success to you.
Angel - Thanks for the support!!!
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
Marc Middleton, I do agree with you one million % . You have all my credit !!!
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012
Your reply provides great humor to me today as you are an agent in Palm Harbor and clearly do not have a clue as to what goes here in Miami Beach as you are more than 5 hours away!!! The expectation of any seller is to get there home sold, not to sit on the market do to a lazy realtor. Agents can say and promise the world when trying to get someone to list with them. What sets good realtors apart from bad ones are the results of the listing. I am a realist and only state the facts based on the evidence I am provided with. As you can clearly see, the agents who work in this market agree with my statement. Good luck in Palm Harbor!
Flag Tue Sep 18, 2012