Where can I get more information on the past home owners, including the first owner?

Asked by Adi, Los Angeles, CA Sat Apr 16, 2011

I was born in 1992 and have lived here on 128 West 82nd St my whole life and have always been curious to know about the history of my home. Mainly on the previous and very first owner and the design both inside the home and in the backyard.

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/Los_Angeles/sold/3817…

Answers

5
The Ultimate…, , Los Angeles, CA
Sun Apr 17, 2011
You can get all the info that is in public records. All you need to know is in the link below.
http://www.ultimate-handyman.com/?s=history
Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Sun Apr 17, 2011
Hi Adriana:

You would need to pull the Certificate of Occupancy for the property which would give you the builder/initial owner of the property. Property records will show the initial permit for construction, the Certificate of Occupancy and if there were any other permits on record. There are companies that do this research for you, for a small fee. I have attached a link below for the company I use to order them. Feel free to contact them directly, however, be sure you ask for the Certificate of Occupancy and Builder. Call then for more information as to what they can provide for you.

Other ownership after the first owner, we can access that information by asking a title company for a "chain of title".

Let me know if you would like further information.

Kat Becker
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@hotmail.com
Bill Hooper, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sun Apr 17, 2011
Hi Adriana,

A title company would be the best source for this information. Your home was built in 1923, the title companies computer database is only from 1988 to present, therefore they would engage their plant to search the public records on microfilm. This detailed research would be seeking any deeds that effect or convey ownership to your home since it was built. I would refer to this as a "Historical Profile" of your home. Estimated cost for a complete history is probably $500 or more.

Douglas Perez, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Sat Apr 16, 2011
Since 11/5/90, this property has been with the Robles Family. For more historical data, you may search city records, as previously stated. I hope this help you.

Have a blessed day!
Doug
Web Reference:  http://cashrealty.net
Angie Simpson, Agent, Studio City, CA
Sat Apr 16, 2011
Adriana,

You should be able to go down to the Los Angeles County offices and "pull" records on the home that you live in. You may want start with the building and permits department if you want to know when it was built, and who built it. If you want to know about the ownership history the assessor's office may have the information or a Title company would be a good source. There are typically fees associated with obtaining this type of information, so you may want to call first or check online and find out how much it could cost you for the documentation. If the home was built a long time ago, the records at the County offices may be incomplete since paper records were kept before the day of computers and on occasion, some paperwork will come up missing.

I hope this information helps. Good luck with your search!

Angie Simpson