When the details say that it has a cracked slab, are they refering to the foundation slab is cracked?

Asked by Shockley, William, San Diego, CA Fri Jan 9, 2009

If the foundation is cracked I would like to see pictures of the damage and any information about it, when, how, why etc.
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1067735110-1108-Klauber-Ave-S…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dawn Lewis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jan 21, 2009

I would stay away from a home with a cracked slab. If you still want to go forward with it hire a local San Diego company that will inspect the Slab and give you a report. A couple I can think of off the top of my head are Atlas Engineering and Catlin Engineering. Good Luck.

Dawn Lewis
0 votes
x, , Mars Hill, ME
Mon Jan 19, 2009
Dear William,
In a raised foundation, you can easily see cracks and get a quote for repairs. In fact the seller may have already gotten a bid for repairs if they are aware of it, so ask the listing agent if they'll let you see the foundation report before you write an offer. If it were my listing and I had this information, I would share it with any and every buyer or agent who wanted to see it in advance of an offer.

Slab foundation cracks are usually covered by floor coverings.

But this home is bank owned so all bets are off. They wont' have reports or quotes. And it's being sold as is, so they won't make repairs. You'll have to visit the home extensively before writing your offer and probably bring a foundation specialist with you. You may not get someone to go out there and quote for free on a home you don't own.

You will typically have your 17 day contingency period to do your own investigation but whether raised or slab, these costs can be pricey.

I would plan to ask for a fixed dollar amount in closing costs that helps you with actual closing costs and some towards foundation repairs. This isn't the end of the world.

Let me know if you need some help, if you need a qualified agent, or if I can make some calls for you.

Web Reference:  http://www.greenboxhomes.com
0 votes
Michael Barr…, Agent, Irvine, CA
Sat Jan 10, 2009
Hi there Shockley. This does sound like there could be cause for concern. You should have this looked at by the appropiate professionals who can give you the best diagnosis. Theae crakcs can some times be caiuse by earth shifting but there couls alo be some geological soil issues to look at. Do yourself a favour and hire a professional. Your agent representing you should be able to refer you to some professionals.
Best of luck with it

Kind Regards
Michael Barron
First team Real Estate
(714) 552-6817
0 votes
MIRIAM QUiNO…, , 92008
Sat Jan 10, 2009
As with any property one considers purchasing, it's important to investigate all aspects associated with the it. You can select any number of inspections and have them conducted by
quaified professionals during the period allocated in the purchase agreement. Based on the findings, you can further consult with the appropriate professionals as to what would be required to fix those items that you want taken care of, how much it will cost, etc...Talk to the Real Estate agent who is representing you
regarding your particular transaction, request for repairs, etc... There are a lot of good properties out there right now, so be practical and go for the best one possible within your budget, in a great location so you end up with the great investment.Good luck in your endeavours!
0 votes
Jeffrey Doug…, , San Diego, CA
Fri Jan 9, 2009
You are correct, this could be a very serious problem that you would want an appropriate professional to check out.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more