When representing a client, foo you generally keep commission if you client and seller agree NOT to complete agreement?

Asked by courtneyl1976, Los Angeles, CA Thu Mar 6, 2014

Had an agent keep his commission (3%) while the Owner and owner's agent refunded their portion of $10,000 but my agent kept $2000. Is that a common occurrence?

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3147303070-4080-Glencoe-Ave-206…

Answers

4
Jason Callaw…, Agent, LOS ANGELES, CA
Thu Mar 6, 2014
When a deal does not close escrow and is cancelled, commissions are never paid out by the seller because the transaction was cancelled. Confusing situation you're in since you're claiming you're the buyer. Buyers don't pay commissions in CA unless otherwise agreed to, which would be obscure if you did pay. I think there are details missing here overall as I would give the agent the benefit of the doubt until all facts were disclosed. There would be no commissions to refund back to you nor the seller since the deal did not close. This is a strange question.
Sue Levitt, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Apr 21, 2014
My commission is not earned until all parties have signed their documents and keys are turned over to buyer/tenant to take possession of property.
Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Fri Mar 7, 2014
Usually when an escrow mutually cancels, no one gets a commission. You need to revert back to you purchase contract to see what is says. It may be that they kept a portion of the deposit under the liquidated damages clause.

Kat
Sellingcasas…, , Los Angeles, CA
Thu Mar 6, 2014
You're right, Jason. The question is interesting. I don't quite understand.