When I purchased my condo the title company made mistake and issued a warranty deed for only half of the condo.?

Asked by Christa, Minneapolis, MN Wed Jan 9, 2013

When I made them aware of their mistake they hired a lawyer and he arranged for me to have a quit claim deed from a 3 times removed previous owner. How can I get one clean deed for my one condo?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Stephanie We…, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
I think that's what the title company was trying to do...clean up the title by getting a QC deed from a previous owner that must have clouded the title with any remaining interest.

Most likely the office that handled the transaction will not be involved at this point because they have a claims division to help with this stuff and those claims divisions have attorneys on staff. They insured your title, so they have no choice but to fix it. That is what title insurance is and why you get it :)

The deed you have probably looks normal, it's just the predecessor in title "clouded" the title for some reason and the QC deed is where he/she deeds any of their interest whatever that may be and that "cleans" it up.

I was in the title insurance business for 30 years, which is why I am answering this, however if you have questions, you should contact the person fixing the problem. All the best!
1 vote
Eric William…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
you would need to contact your agent or title representative. They will need the address and details.
However, You will probably need to have them re-record your deed and fix your title policy so that it's correct. They most likely could fix the deed, but more importantly your policy needs to be corrected also.
thank you
0 votes
Craig Frooni…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
Hi Christa, I agree with other comments that it is the title companies responsibility to clean this up as it was their job to provide you with a clean title. If you don't have a lot of confidence in what they are doing or their explanations of what happened, I would seek a separate attorney to review everything. There are a number of really good attorney's that deal with real estate and I'm sure we can all provide you with our favorites if you need one.
0 votes
Jennie Miller…, Agent, Phoenix, AZ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
You should contact the title company or your attorney.
0 votes
Doug McVinua, Agent, Gilbert, AZ
Thu Jan 10, 2013
I would go back to the Title Company or an attorney. A Title Company should be able to handle this, maybe another Title Co?
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more