What are the best things to ask my accountant if I am doing a short sale and the property is iny husbands name and I have assets in my retirement but?

Asked by donnaattuscany, Boynton Beach, FL Tue May 21, 2013

Am not old enough to retire

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


marc jablon, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Tue May 21, 2013
You may want to speak to a real estate attorney about what your financial responsibilities may be. With that in mind, you will want to work with a Boynton Beach real estate agent who has some familiarity with short sales.

If the home in Boynton Beach is in your husband's name, it would make sense for him to contact the bank and let them know he intends to short sale the property. Banks, for the most part, are sympathetic and cooperative when it comes to short sales.

The bank will typically send you a list of the paperwork they require so that the short sale process can begin. Foremost on that list is a request for a short sale listing agreement with a real estate agent that shows your home is for sale.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete Solutions

To see homes in Boynton Beach:
0 votes
Joan Lorberb…, Agent, Boca Raton, FL
Tue May 21, 2013
The best thing to ask your accountant is if she is familiar with the ins and outs of short sales. You would want to know how a short sale affects your credit and what assets (such as your own personal retirement account) would need to be included in an accounting of assets and liabilities statement which a lender/servicer requires. You should also be in touch with a real estate agent who is familiar with short sales and who works with an attorney in, hopefully, accomplishing your goal of short selling your property.

Good luck and let me know if I can assist you further.

Broker Associate, GRI
Lang Realty
9858 Clint Moore Road
Boca Raton, FL 33498
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Property Q&A in Boynton Beach Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more