We have a house in Naples florida no wood foundation all cement . Termite company asked to respray because warranty expired this year is it needed

Asked by Joe 14, Naples, FL Sun May 29, 2011

do we really need the termite treatment again or it is waste of money (house 3 years old) and if yes needed what would be a reasonable charge for it thank you

Answers

6
Marc Comisar, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Sun May 29, 2011
I would say you are ok......but who knows. Termites scare me but I too feel like I am being taken by the pest control companies.

jessemcgreevy@gmail.com
239-898-5329
http://www.Bonita-Estero-RealEstate.com
Agnes Tabor, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun May 29, 2011
Dear Joe 14,

This is a judgement call as far as I am concerned; termites can do a lot of damage. When was the last time that your home was inspected? Doesn't matter if your foundation is cement, most new homes are, termites will find a way. Once a termite company contacts you it is just human nature that we begin to worry; it is no different than when you go to the car dealer, you go for tires and they tell you your breaks are due.

Google http://bit.ly/termitesinflorida you will be amazed at how many different types there are as well as how many options you to have to have a "termite prevention service".

As far as cost, get some estimates and ask the companies to give you a list of current customer/clients.

Don't be frightened and don't think that Florida is the only place in the country that harbors these bugs; I am originally from Chicago and we found them in a room addition put on by the previous owners. The Termites tunneled up the side of a cement wall and ate thru wood floors, we didn't know until we started to remodel about 15 years later.

Do your research; " an ounce of prevention etc".
Pam & John G…, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun May 29, 2011
The short direct answer to your direct question is No. That, however may not be the best answer for you. I take it from your question that you may not live here full time and therefore are not able to keep a constant watch on the home and notice changes.

Although you may not need the home sprayed today, tomorrow could tell a different story. Often there are different solutions for different types of termites and or wood destroying insects. Usually the best solution, in my opinion, is to contract with an pest control company that offers a guarantee that will pay up to some value if they protect your home and it is damaged by wood destroying insects anyway. It is always a good idea to shop for your best solution, and that could be difficult because each company seems to use different terms.

I have found it beneficial to contact the company that wants to do a respray and let the know that you are shopping other companies before making a decision. Then when you find an offer that you feel is best, call them back, they may be willing to make you a better deal. It is always in their best interest to retain client when possible and the client is not costing them.

A guarantee is always KING.
Danielle Sha…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sun May 29, 2011
It's personal preference at this point although always recommended. The best way to get an idea of cost is to contact several local companies for pricing.
Ken Lowe, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun May 29, 2011
The termite companies usually have a program with a long term warrenty as long as you follow the respray or retreatment schedule. Termites can get into walls and or roof structure even in homes that are mostly concrete. You can contact several companies for competitive quotes to determine fair price for your home.

It is a personal risk benefit decision as to whether the expense is worth it.
Web Reference:  http://www.ken-lowe.com
Mark Simoff, Agent, Naples, FL
Sun May 29, 2011
Hi Joe, while I've heard that termites can "tube" or penetrate voids or cracks in cement foundations to get to the wood, it is less likely than if you did have a wood structure. Seems to me you should get a second or even a third opinion. Finally, you can get prepared yourself by going to Google and doing just a little research on your own. Then when you do meet with a pest control company, you'll come across much more informed. Termites do a lot of damage especially in Florida so don't take it lightly. Also know that there are termites that can swarm and fly into your structure through vents and other voids, so the issue isn't just about what kind of foundation you have. Hope this helps to get you started on the right track.