We divorced. I pay my ex $$ and want him remove his name on the title of our house. Is it safe for me if he only sign a quit claim deed? His name..

Asked by ladythuy, Dallas, TX Sat Feb 2, 2013

His name is still on the mortgage loan. i don't want him come back and claim for the house later.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sun Feb 3, 2013
You are required to refinance the home if he is still on the mortgage.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
Multimillion Dollar Sales Producer

Follow me on Facebook
0 votes
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun Feb 3, 2013
No....you need to refinance and get his name off the loan and off the deed.
Most title companies do not like quit claim deeds, so be sure to talk with both your lender and a title company about getting it done the right way.

Otherwise way too often we see when you really want to sell later on or need to sell, you have to drag them back in and they are almost never cooperative and want some kind of payment to make your problem go away.
0 votes
Guy Gimenez, Agent, Austin, TX
Sat Feb 2, 2013
No, quit claims are seldom recognized by title insurers in Texas. You should try and get a special warranty deed executed by your ex-husband so you will not have issues down the line when you try to sell the home. Your divorce decree should have given you guidance on this matter.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Property Q&A in Grand Prairie Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more