Updating HOA CC&R and Bylaws

Asked by spynkist, San Francisco, CA Sat Feb 9, 2013

Are there templates/online forms of HOA CC&R and Bylaw documents?
Our small (and well-run) HOA would like to update these documents, but since we need to keep costs down we're hoping to do the work, or at least most of it, ourselves.
Any advice?

Answers

1
Kevin Ho, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sat Feb 9, 2013
A lot of how 'good' HOAs run involves how people actually implement the language in their governing documents. Depending on how large you guys are it may just be a matter of compromise and no amount of revision will be helpful. On the other hand, in large HOAs The governing documents may be very extensive but the real source of efficiency comes from a good management company.

But to answer your question specifically, you might want to go down to a local law library and ask for sample form documents in legal practice guides. If you ask the reference librarians they'll be able to help. In the meantime, here's one resource I have recommended to my clients — it's called the condo bluebook. Hope this helps. Don't hesitate to ask me for more information. Good luck.
Web Reference:  http://condobook.com/
Thank you, Kevin.
To your question, our HOA consists of 6 condos. The reason for updating our documents is that the current ones are old, predate many technologies (and therefore specify processes that are no longer relevant) and we wonder if a more modern set of documents will both simplify things and address new requirements.
Flag Sat Feb 9, 2013