Covert, Home Owner in Belmont, MA

Trulia is using comps from another town to value our home. The comps for the neighbors homes are correct. How can I correct this?

Asked by Covert, Belmont, MA Thu Feb 16, 2012

I have already tried contacting them and the email they were supposed to send didn't arrive.

Answers

2
Deb Nicholls, Agent, Concord, MA
Thu Feb 16, 2012
Trulia isn't really doing an appraisal or comparative market analysis on your home. Several sites, including Zillow, use public records and a computerized program to come up with their estimated value. They are fun to look at ("gosh, my house went up in value by $200k last month!) but they are frequently very inaccurate. They don't take into consideration the interior, landscaping, updates, etc. Ad as you pointed out, they sometimes use distance, not town borders, for comps.

So their estimate of value won't affect a refinance or list price, if that's what's you want it for. You might get them to change it, but next month it will be different again. Not worth the effort, if you ask me.

Deb
Web Reference:  http://debn.net
Sharleen Dav…, , Burlington, MA
Sun Feb 19, 2012
What is the source of your concern? Is it that your house is on the market and your worried that buyers will think your house is worth less than it really is? It is widely understood that the Trulia/Zillow type estimates are far from accurate, and I would think very difficult to change.