This house has had an offer pending for quite sometime. Can someone offer more for the house or not until the bank turns down the current offer?

Asked by jeff59407, Saint Paul, MN Thu Mar 21, 2013

This question was asked from this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Chris Block, , Saint Paul, MN
Thu Mar 21, 2013
If there is a signed PA by both parties you need to wait until the bank turns down that offer (short sale), or if the financing were to fall a part on a REO.

In a short sale if you are really interested you can offer to place a back-up offer, and even in REO properties this usually is allowed. All you can do is give it your best shot and hope for the best.

Just so you know banks require a buyer to be represented by a realtor for short sales and REO properties. Sometimes the listing agent will just take you on, but unless there is a reason buyer's agents should be what you are looking for. If you don't have one right now you are at a disadvantage to other buyers pre-approved and have realtors monitoring properties for them. That ain't a sales pitch it is just the truth.

Interview a couple realtors or research us on Trulia. We have reccomendations as well from past clients if testimonials are important to you.

Good Luck and Happy House Hunting! I would love the opportunity to work with you if that is something you are interested in.

Chris Block
Realtor North/NE Suburbs
0 votes
Donald James, Agent, Edina, MN
Thu Mar 21, 2013
This house is still in redemption so the seller is trying to do a short sale (short sale: the lender agrees to sell the property for less than is owed). A short sale can take time as the file has to be approved by the lender(s) as well as any companies that insured all or parts of the sale. I tell my clients to count on four months for a short sale. It wouldn't hurt for you to talk to a professional Realtor to see if the seller is accepting back-up offers on this property.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Susan Hoffla…, Agent, Shoreview, MN
Thu Mar 21, 2013
Hi, Jeff!
I know these bank owned properties/transactions can be really confusing and tricky!! I'm going to try to help.

So, how do you know there's an offer in consideration by the bank? Did you talk to an agent who is listing the property?? Because, what will tell the tale is whether or not the offer has been agreed to by the bank/seller or not. If the offer is just there and not been responded to by the bank, then you might have a shot at submitting a competing offer. If it's been signed off on by the bank and the bank and the buyer have agreed to all their terms, it might be too late for you to submit anything.

IF the bank has NOT signed off on the offer currently in play, that's up to them as to whether or not they will entertain any other offers. BUT, also know that agents are bound by their licensure to submit any and all offers, and up to the seller as to how they want to respond. That is, of course, if they have not already agreed in writing to accept another buyer's offer. Make sense??

Good luck, Jeff!
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more