Lynn, Home Owner in 19125

There is NO house at this address, I'm a neighbor on this block and I'm trying to get the City of Philadelphia to realize that this property is a lot.

Asked by Lynn, 19125 Tue Mar 15, 2011

Please edit your details of 1831 and 1833 E. Sergeant Street, there are NO houses here.

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Maxwell Pete…, , Philadelphia, PA
Tue Mar 15, 2011
I'm not sure what the Brooks Team is referring to, but it is not possible to "short sell" unpaid taxes in the County of Philadelphia. In fact, Philadelphia has such a bad track record of collecting unpaid property taxes that there are approximately 40,000 abandoned properties in the City.

Nonetheless, if you feel strongly enough, you can force the property to tax sale by contacting the proper department in the City, where you will likely have to post a deposit (refundable, after tax sale) to get the Sheriff's department to take the property to sale. All the legal wrangling can take a year or more.

If you really want these lots to move, contact me or someone like me who specilizes in off-market transactions. I suspect there may be valuable to someone who would want to build there.
0 votes
Maggie Brooks…, Agent, Edgmont Township, PA
Tue Mar 15, 2011
Hi Lynn,

I understand the issue you are having however these may not currently have houses erected but they are not lots. They are zoned residential. The best thing for you to do is find out if there are unpaid real estate taxes. If so contact your city council person about the possibility of a short sale. If you do this and the properties do sell then chances are homes will be built and the lots would not be abandoned. You may want to try to contact the owners and purchase yourself or leave things alone if you prefer how they are now. I hope this helps!
0 votes
Maxwell Pete…, , Philadelphia, PA
Tue Mar 15, 2011
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? If you want to see the property turned over and made productive, take a look at the website below for Abandoned Philadelphia. Here you can report abandoned properties and, if taxes are delinquent, someone will attempt to contact the owner to see if they want to sell or otherwise get the story about what is going on.

With the Sheriff's office still struggling to get out from under years of mismanagement, I would rely very little on any help they can provide. Contact me if you would like to discuss options further at

Best of luck.
0 votes
Hannah Angert, Agent, PHILADELPHIA, PA
Tue Mar 15, 2011

This is not a lot just because there is no home there. The property is designated as residential and as such can be built upon at any time with proper permits from the City. That wouldn't be the case with land or lots that are designated as Vacant.

The public record shows that these two lots are owend by different people and that both are delinquent on real estate tax.

I suggest two things:
1) Contact your City Councilperson's office about forcing a Sherriff's Sale based on outstanding tax balances.
2) If there are issues with trash, dumping, etc. contact 311 and file complaints DAILY until violations are issued. These violations will go on record and prevent the property from selling with clear title if they are not resolved.

Best of luck to you Lynn,

Hannah Angert, Realtor®
PA License RS-295442

Cell 215.869.9571
Office 215.271.3000
Fax 215.271.0988

William Festa Realty
3001 S. Sydenham St.
Philadelphia, PA 19145
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more