Shouldn't a house where a dead body was found be sold at a lower price? Is the owner not disclosing the information?

Asked by alexistakas, Pennsylvania Mon Nov 4, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3136117676-2213-W-Thompson-St…

Answers

5
R. Eric Axel…, Agent, Cherry Hill, NJ
Mon Nov 4, 2013
Hi Alexis, my esteemed colleague Fred below is correct. Why would this lower the value of the house? People die in their beds everyday. You are buying a house; not what happened in it.

Now the law on disclosure is different in every state, but in PA I don't believe most people consider it a material defect, so they don't have to disclose it. They have no reason to know you feel strongly about it. If you ask them or their Realtor directly, they have to answer you, but even then it wouldn't automatically or necessarily lower the value.

Hope this helps.
Zeta Cross, Agent, Philadelphia, PA
Sun Jan 5, 2014
Lots of people die at home in their own beds. If someone dies and is not found for a few days, that is unsavory but it does not make the house worth less money. By law, I don't think sellers even have to tell if a murder or tragedy happens in a house.
alexistakas, Home Buyer, Pennsylvania
Mon Nov 4, 2013
Thank you all for your answers, I was not sure about the rules regarding this issue. The house itself looks great and that is all that matters ! Thanks again!
Your welcome! Good luck. BTW, what did your buyer broker say?
Flag Mon Nov 4, 2013
Good luck to you!
Flag Mon Nov 4, 2013
Barbara Smith, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Mon Nov 4, 2013
Alexis,

I mirror Eric and Fred's comments below. It's not a material defect in the home and at present is not required to be disclosed by the seller.

While I was going through my broker's licensing course I was in the class with a Realtor who was born and raised in a small village in England and this very subject came up in the class during the "Disclosure" section. She thought it was peculiar that we have such a phobia on this in the United States. As she put it "The house I grew up in was 600 years old, of course someone had died there!" That kind of put it in perspective.

Good luck in your search!

Barbara L. Smith
Weichert Realtors
Direct: 609-980-7593
Email: BarbSmith321@gmail.com
Facebook.com/BarbaraSmithRealtor
How about homes in Europe! :)
Flag Mon Nov 4, 2013
Fred Glick, Agent, Mountain View, CA
Mon Nov 4, 2013
Great question, Alexis.

Not always.

The dead body has nothing to do with the house itself and a new owner may not have emotions to the issues that occurred.

AS with any home, it is all about supply and demand. If the demand is there, even though there was a dead body, the price may go higher!

Fred Glick
Web Reference:  http://fredglick.com