Hmebuyer, Home Buyer in Houston County, TX

Problems, Problems ,Problems After closing!!!!! Water everywhere!!!!!!!

Asked by Hmebuyer, Houston County, TX Sun Dec 16, 2012

Hello everyone ,
We have this problem with the home ever since we bought sometime this year. Around the sides of the house, water stagnates a lot. This happens even when we on the sprinkler system and the water stagnates even more when it rains heavily. We have informed builder who is just such a bad person to deal with and says that the stagnation is because the houses adjacent to our home was not built by the same builder. The builder (construction manager) says that the home adjacent to ours is at a higher slope due to which all the water drains to our lot. What is the solution for this? The builder has already added sand , increased the level of the sod but nothing helps, in fact our yard looks ugly with sand scattered everywhere and the grass dried up due to the adding and removing the grass. This whole deal has been so nerve wrecking and frankly we are so disappointed. Prior to closing, we heard so many promises but after closing NOTHING!!!!!

Answers

9
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Mon Dec 17, 2012
I would not depend on the builder to resolve this.
I probably would not depend on the other builder to resolve this.
Take it upon yourself.

Probably just need to correct the grading and drainage it sounds like.

A good landscaper can probably help you. You may want a structural engineer or soil engineer to help you develop a plan.

You are likely correct that this is a situation you don't want.

You could spend some time with the city building inspector, a city engineer, or a host of other people, but end the end it is your house and your yard. I'd spend time with the people who will get the job done, not always the people who "should" do it or "should" be responsible.
Kim Johnson, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
To add onto what I wrote earlier...my dad owns a civil engineering firm and this is common but does not mean that it is allowable. If the grading is indeed incorrect next door they can't just grate and slope drainage however they want to benefit the lot they are building on. Contact a civil engineer and go from there. The French drains are great but they can only displace so much water at a time. If we get a tremendous rain are they going to be enough? Those questions are best left up to professionals.
Kim Johnson, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
What the builder is telling you could in fact be the truth. You are going to need a civil engineer to come out and look at the drainage and write a plan to remedy the drainage. You may have to take your issue to the builder that built the house next door.
Linda Waltman, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
Sorry for all your troubles. Hopefully you had a realtor when you bought your house and the promises are in writing? I own a home and installed french drains. It is an expense, but pays off for the whole time you own the house. I have two drains in my back yard, french drain and had the landscaper do some additional grade modifications. It wasn't as expensive as it sounds. Now the only trouble we have is on one side when the neighbor runs his sprinklers too much but that is not an all the time problem. In order to take the best care of your foundation you will want to find a solution to the problem. Again, sorry for all your troubles. If the neighbor experiences any drainage problems they may share in the cost of the modifications. One of my neighbors did and it solved both of our issues. Good luck.
Hmebuyer, Home Buyer, Houston County, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
Thank you all for the helpful response .
But in this sort of situation whose fault is it? Our home was constructed (foundation ) was done first. The house adjacent to ours were built 3-4 weeks later .
I'm still not understanding this different builders concept . Are all the plots suffering from different builder being adjacent to one builder's plot??
April Maestri, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
I agree about the French drains...the only way to fix the problem correctly.
Vickey Wacht…, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
Developers and builders have been building foundations higher and leaving drainage slopes between houses in an effort to prevent water coming into the house when we get high rainfall. This is a great idea but it also causes the problem you have because the space between the houses doesn't allow for normal drying time. Sprinklers add to the problem. French drains are really the only solution and I can't help but think both builders and developers know this but do not want to foot the bill for them.
We had the same problem on both sides of our house and ended up putting in the drains when extra sand and grass didn't do the trick.

You mentioned that there were promises made prior to closing, was this issue discussed? If so did you get it in writing? Contacting the main office might get you more attention if you have only been working with the salesperson.

I am sorry your experience has not been wonderful, buying a new home should be exciting not nerve wrecking.
Veronica Mul…, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
When water ponds around a home often installing a French drain in the area will divert the water away from the area. Also, adjusting the sprinkler heads in the area to reduce the amount of water they put out and reduce the amount of time this zone is on will help.
Which would be better , French Drains or curtain drain with four to six catch basins
Flag Sun Dec 16, 2012
Charles Ray, Agent, Katy, TX
Sun Dec 16, 2012
Sounds terrible. Try some French drains, they should probably fix the issue.
thank u for the response
Flag Sun Dec 16, 2012