Neighborhood Church effect on housing values

Asked by Sc, 55129 Thu Apr 1, 2010

I live in a residential single-family neighborhood close to St Paul, MN. The city is planning to have a mega church in the neighborhood and it will be constructed on the other side of the road (currently 2 lane) on the back side of my house. It will indeed be a mega church-with almost 1500 seats in phase 1 and will increase to 3000 seats in phase 2.
I am really worried and would like to know if neighborhood church (in such big scale) will reduce my home price.

Answers

1
Patti Hessli…, , Woodbury, MN
Fri Apr 2, 2010
The south end of Wedgewood Park in across the street from St. Ambrose. While St. Ambrose is not a "mega" church; it is a larger church. In addition, the Lutheran church is on the Southwest corner of Woodbury Drive and Bailey Rd. I do not believe these churches have had a direct impact on the value of the homes in that area. I have received feedback from listings in the south end of Wedgewood Park about the traffic noise on Bailey Rd. but that traffic was general neighborhood traffic not church related traffic. Unless there is some horendous eyesore about the plans for the church I can not see why it would affect the value of your home. Sunday traffic would increase which will increase open house marketing for you if you were to sell.