My house was appraised in May 2010. The appraised value is significantly lower than the assessed value. Can I still apply for a from review?

Asked by Cambridge, San Francisco, CA Wed Aug 11, 2010

Does the appraisal need to be done before March 2010 in order to be eligible for a formal review? what if the appraisal was done in May 2010, can I still apply for a formal review?

Answers

4
Jack Murray, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Aug 11, 2010
Yes, you should research the process as described in the great answers below. Additionally, contact with a local Realtor that can also provide you recent supporting comparables may be helpful to your appeal process.
Jack Murray
Eric Castong…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Aug 11, 2010
Hi Cambridge,

Go to this website from the SF Assessor. It should give you the info you need.

Best
Eric

http://www.sfassessor.org/index.aspx?page=76#HE
Web Reference:  http://www.SFHotBuy.com
Cameron Bamb…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Aug 11, 2010
Did you apply for the informal review? If so, then you can appeal. But I am not certain if you can appeal if you missed the window to file the initial request. Whether or not you get a reduction, you must do this every year, or they could jack the assessment back up without you noticing. Once the appeal period has passed, the assessment is fixed. Best to call the Assessor's office for specific date and procedure details.

There are lawyers out there who will file for the appeal on your behalf. They often charge 40% of the amount that they would be saving you over the year. So if they got your tax reduced by $1,000 for the year, they would ask you to pay them $400.
Danielle Laz…, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Wed Aug 11, 2010
I would definitely appeal your property tax assessed value if your recent appraisal is lower. However, you'll need to check with the Tax Assessor's office for the timing details. It may need to wait for the following period.

See link below.

Best of luck,
Danielle