Scott Johnson, Other/Just Looking in 141 ERIE BLVD SCHENE...

Just received my assesment. I have a building on lower Erie Blvd downtown Schenectady, my assesment went from

Asked by Scott Johnson, 141 ERIE BLVD SCHENECTADY NY Fri Mar 6, 2009

$41,000.00 to $104,000.00. I purchased thebuilding in 97 for the $41000 price - there is a grievance process. What proof do I need to bring to try and get it lowered?

Answers

1
Kevin Clancy, Agent, Albany, NY
Fri Mar 6, 2009
Scott,
Great question. I am sure there will be many, many people in Schenectady with the same question. You have two options to argue your assessment. You can argue that you are assessed above market value for the area or you can argue that you inequitably assessed in comparison to other properties in the area. Generally I help homeowners present a case that they are assessed above market value by providing an appraisal they can present at the greivance. (if they truly are assessed above market value)However, you can pull recent sales yourself for free and present them for comparison to your property for free. A local Realtor can help you with this or you can take a trip to the assessor's office and review sales data. Keep in mind just because your assessment went way up your taxes won't necessarily go way up. Your final tax bill will not be know until the new tax rate is released and this generally isn't until after the grievance period.