Is the price as far as rent in any way negotiable? I have an 800$ budget for at least a year. thank you

Asked by idagarcia88, Indianapolis, IN Wed Feb 6, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/rental/3103241860-11540-Sunset-Cove-Ln…

Answers

3
Julie Barnett, Agent, Lebanon, IN
Thu Feb 7, 2013
Usually landlords want a specific amount of rent in order to cover their costs of owning a property, but if you ask me, it never hurts to try to negotiate. I once rented an apartment and since I had looked at it for at least a couple of months, and knew that the owner surely wanted the rental income, I approached the landlord and was successful in knocking off $30/month. So I guess this just goes along with one of my 'true-isms' that I like to live my life by..."It never hurts to ask, all they can do is say no." Also, "You never know if you don't ask."

With that said, you should always be prepared for a denial of your request, but remember that:
1) The approach is everything, and the way you present your request.
2) Sometimes you may be able to negotiate another item of value to you, like asking the landlord to pay for trash removal, sewage, lawn care or snow removal in the winter. (Some of these things will already be paid if it is a condo.)

With an $800 budget, I feel that there are many properties in your price range that you would probably be interested in. Be open-minded and don't 'paint yourself into a corner' by being to focused on one particular house or community. Network with friends and co-workers and enlist the help of a realtor. Check local papers and Craigslist. The broader your approach to your search the more successful you will be in finding the perfect place to rent, and one that you can afford. The worst thing would be to rent a property that is out of your price range and forces you to struggle to pay your rent or provide other necessities.

I'd love to sent you my Prudential Indiana Realty mobile app that you can look up rentals in any area you might be interested in. Give me a call or send me an email or text, or you can text H6L to 8777.

I hope this helped and good luck in your hunt!
idagarcia88, , Indianapolis, IN
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Well this will be my first place of my own, I've been married 27 years and we are just now making a decision to seperate. I have always been a stay at home caregiver. Only make 950.$ a month but willing to commit long term in a nice area. I have two kids at home 10 and 14
Reinhard Pol…, Agent, Indianapolis, IN
Wed Feb 6, 2013
Anything is negotiable but there are a lot of factors that will impact your likelyhood of achieving a lower cost; specific property location, condition, and other factors can play a role as well as how long a propertty has been vacant and how quickly you could move in; how long are you willing to make a commitment; what kind of track record do you have as a renter/ resident etc ....