Is it hard to rezone a fairly small office space to commercial so it can be turned into an 8 unit apartment complex?

Asked by Management, 48168 Sun Apr 29, 2012

Looking to purchase an office building (zoned as OS) but I want to convert it to apartments. Any help/suggestions is very much appreciated.

Answers

3
Management, , 48168
Mon Apr 30, 2012
Thanks for the help. The building is located in Livonia and there are a lot of single-family houses in the area (behind the building) with a couple commercial buildings adjacent to it. It is not located in downtown. But I will definitely contact the City Planner.

Thanks guys!
Madhu Oberoi, Agent, West Bloomfield, MI
Mon Apr 30, 2012
I used to be a City Planner until recently. Which city are you talking about. Depending on the location most cities are allowing mixed uses in downtown or other areas. Residential uses may be permitted in an office zone by a special use permit approved by the Planning commission. Please meet with the City Planner before purchasing the building.
Madhuoberoi@realeststeone.com
Michael Warr…, , Novi, MI
Mon Apr 30, 2012
HI Jasingh

Re-zoning success may depend on the location and adjacent zoning uses of properties. Also, different zoning uses have different building setbacks and other requirements which may work for office but might require a variance for the proposed zoning. I would highly suggest meeting with the city planner to discuss your plans and see what obstacles and suggestions there may be to get the property rezoned.

Sincderely,

Mike Warren