Is it feasible to have the radiator-style heating replaced with gas forced air and AC or is it prohibitively expensive?

Asked by Holly Biggs, Rochester, NY Sun Nov 20, 2011

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3010664494-79-Atkinson-St-Roc…

Answers

5
Barbara Carl…, , Rochester, NY
Sun Nov 20, 2011
Some things to consider:
you may wish to keep hot water radiant heat as it is cleaner, quieter, gentler on your internal environment. Gas or oil fired can make a difference in cost. both in fuel and any hook up fees (as noted earlier).

1. You can have AC retrofitted only, and if so, HVAC usually uses smaller ducts for retrofit AC (ie less cost)
2. You can save some $$ if both AC and forced air installed at same time--maybe (as noted by other post)
3. You may wish to consider adding quality insulation and/or new roof/windows/siding--all of these can dramatically cut energy costs as well as heat loss, and need for AC (and add value to property!)
4. a whole house attic fan can be a suitable cooling solution at lower cost.
5. check with a realtor to determine what neighborhood trends are currently; you can add significant value to your home with HVAC upgrades (maybe 90-100$ cost of the upgrades as value) but you may not as much (perhaps only 25-50% of instal cost added to your home'svalue), depending upon what the trend is in your neighborhood.

NYSERDA has grants and info available to help you with costs.
http://www.nyserda.ny.gov/Program-Areas/Energy-Efficiency-an…
Bob Migliora…, Agent, Rochester, NY
Mon Nov 21, 2011
Generally, it is prohibitively expensive BUT get a qualified HVAC person (ask for a referral if necessary) as ther are ways to make the system more efficient, to make it fit in with nearly any decor.
Martina Ryan, Agent, Bayside, NY
Sun Nov 20, 2011
Now is a great time to get any repair work done as labor costs are about 20% lower than they were in bumper years. Get some estimates & see if it is within budget.
Christina M.…, Agent, Rochester, NY
Sun Nov 20, 2011
I had this situation happen to me. The foreclosure I bought had ruptured radiators I had to replace. Between the ac, furnace, vent work and labor, I spent a little over $10,000. I have a 1550 sq ft colonial with 3 bedrooms an 1.5 baths. Hope this helps!

Christina smith
Keller Williams
1934 w ridge rd
Rochester NY 14626
585.760.4926
Cmsrochomes.com
James Quadd, , Rochester, NY
Sun Nov 20, 2011
Assuming you already have a gas fired unit and not oil It shouldn't be that nuch of a financial burden. Most reputible heating contractors now offer interest free financing. Installing a new heating unit and central air at the same time should same you a few dollars too. If you have an oil fired unit now then you would also need to have gas service installed and that could be quite costly if it ian't already in the home.