If the Needham assesor requests you to make an appointment for an onsite inspection of your home, do you have to do it? What if you dont?

Asked by Jem, Needham, MA Sat Oct 16, 2010

Answers

5
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Oct 16, 2010
While you are not required to let the assessor or data collector in your home, your cooperation, along with that of all other property owners in your community, helps assure that your assessment will be fair and based on complete and accurate information. Without such cooperation, data collectors are forced to estimate how many bedrooms, bathrooms, etc., there are in your home. Later, if you disagree with the assessment for your property and ask that it be lowered, assessment officials will need precisely the information you refused to provide in order to rule on your request for a lower assessment
Joe Arnao, Agent, Sanwich, MA
Sun Oct 17, 2010
Laws aside, it depends on what you are planning on doing with your home and the state of the home. If you plan on selling soon and you have updated your property since the assessor was last there, you may want them to come inside and hope your assessement goes up. If you are staying in your home and you think it will go down, why have you not asked for an abatement previously?
Debbie Anast…, Agent, Needham, MA
Sat Oct 16, 2010
Before I invited an assessor in, I would look at the details the town currently has re. your property. The details the town has on each property aren't always accurate. If your property is overstated in the assessors office, you may be paying more than your fair share of taxes. You may be doing yourself a favor by letting them see the inside of your house. If, on the other hand your details are "understated" you may find that your assessment, and therefore your taxes, will go up. It might be worth checking before you make yourself available to them.
Scott A. Nel…, , 02155
Sat Oct 16, 2010
You should probably check with a local attorney to find out what legal options you have as far as their rights of access to your property. Different cities/towns have different rules & laws on their books for local regulations.

Hope that helps,
Web Reference:  http://www.MedfordHouse.com
Andrew Adams, , 01915
Sat Oct 16, 2010
If I were the assesor, I would make sure that I didn't under value your place. More or less penalize you for not cooperating.