If my husband owns a house bought during the marriage, but I am not on mortgage or deed, what does that make mean for me? Am I a renter or owner?

Asked by Cmrhine, Indianapolis, IN Fri Feb 10, 2012

We had to relocate for my husband's residency to Indianapolis after he graduated medical school in CO. Our house in CO was mine bought before the marriage and I went into debt to update the house to be able to sell it quickly (an unfortunate number of things needed to be done). So, we only used his credit score and debt ratio to buy the house in Indiana. The mortgage lender kept getting my name wrong for the property title paperwork and with having to fax documents back and forth every day, we finally gave up on them getting it correct and left it off.

So, I've been wondering ever since what my home owner status actually is. I know we can put me on the property title, but with his schedule in residency, we've had little time to do it.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Tom & Judy W…, Agent, Zionsville, IN
Fri Apr 27, 2012
I suggest contacting the Title company that was used when you purchased the home. They can create a "Quit Claim Deed" to add you to the property deed. You might also want to contact a real estate attorney for guidance on why you "may" or "may not" want to do the Quit Claim Deed. I can refer someone to you if you like.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more