I want to verify that a listing is legit, the email i got back appears fraudulent and the rent is low. the listing is 849 22nd street Santa

Asked by Jeff Clayborne, Santa Monica, CA Fri Feb 10, 2012

Monica CA

Answers

8
Kathleen Bec…, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Tue Feb 14, 2012
Hi Jeff:

Where did you find this listing? What is the property address? It has been my experience that many rentals that are posted on craigslist.com with low rents, requiring you to e-mail the owner who is out of the country, and then get a response that his wife or someone will meet you at the property, then they ask you to send cashiers checks out of the country are scams. Go with your gut...if it appears to you to be fraudulent, then it probably is!

Your best bet is to speak with a Realtor to help you find a rental property. Feel free to contact me directly if I may be of service.

Kat Becker, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
katbecker@prula.com
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sat Feb 11, 2012
Hi Jeff,
You can check out an agent via their license number at the Department of Real Estate. All Realtors should have their license numbers listed on all printed material. The DRE is also the place to lodge complaints about fraudulent activity.
Ron Escobar -…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Fri Feb 10, 2012
Be careful with postings of property for rent that appear way below market rent... NEVER send money ahead to unknown people.. I have seen people send in "deposit money" to the "owner" who just happens to be out of town so the owner sends them the keys... of course it is a scam... if it sounds too good to be truth, it probably is...

go to a reputable source for good information...

Best of luck!

Ron Escobar, MBA
Broker & General Contractor
ron@select-realestate.com
(310) 557 2100
Elizabeth Sa…, , Fort Collins, CO
Fri Feb 10, 2012
We cannot monitor private postings. Good luck. I've lived in Santa Monica for 25 years. Let me know if you need any pointers.
Elizabeth
310-327-0916
Craig Whitlo…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Fri Feb 10, 2012
Hi Jeff -

This is not showing at all in the MLS and could be a private listing. As echoed by my colleagues below, approach with caution and do all your due diligence! If you'd like any assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Craig Whitlock
Coldwell Banker Brentwood
(310) 488-4399
Andrew Jones, Agent, Venice Beach, CA
Fri Feb 10, 2012
Hi Jeff,

I don't see an MLS listing for the property, but that just means that it's not being offered by a real estate agent. There were 3 Internet ads listing the house for $5000 which you can find with a websearch.

Please feel free to get in touch if you need help finding a place to live. Best of Luck.
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Fri Feb 10, 2012
The property has not been listed for rent in the MLS since 1999, all I can see from back then was that it was rented for $3,000/mo. Not all property managers use the MLS to advertise their listings for rent. And the scammers definitely won't be doing it this way.

Click on my profile to read my 2 blog postings here on Trulia called "RENTAL SCAMS RED FLAGS PUBLIC BEWARE". It's very good information & will keep you from getting ripped off!!

I don't look back on this same Trulia thread for answers posted after mine.

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since 1996
Main Street Realtor
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Fri Feb 10, 2012
Hello Jeff, there is no property listed for lease at this address in the mls, it does not mean it is not for rent though, it could be being rented directly from the owner. If you found it on craigslist, be very careful who you are dealing with!!

Here is a link with all the rentals in Santa Monica:
http://santamonica-realestateagent.com/santa-monica-rentals/

Have a great day,
Heather Paul, Realtor
Coldwell Banker
310-586-0364