Property Q&A in Glendora>Question Details

Terry Olson, Other/Just Looking in Glendora, NJ

I want to rent my property in Glendora NJ. How to I get a certificate of occupancy?

Asked by Terry Olson, Glendora, NJ Mon Aug 2, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Terry. There are 2 parts to the process:
1) Contact the Glendora Fire Marshall, Harry Woods by stopping by the fire house located off the Black Horse Pike and schedule the fire inspection.
2) Go to the clerk's office at the Gloucester Township Municipal Building and register as a landllord. The forms ask some basic questions about the property, but typically do not ask for specific information about the new tenants.

Also, make sure you are using a lease prepared by an attorney. Off-the-shelf leases from office supply stores are not the best choice. Make sure to open a seperate bank account specifically to hold the security depsosit. Most banks offer this service. I would be glad to speak with you in more detail.

~Robert Greenblatt
Keller Williams, Cherry Hill
Agent, Investor, Landlord
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 3, 2010
Oooppps.... I stand corrected.... you pay the money directly to the Fire Marshall not to the construction office. WHAT was I thinking :-)

Joe Montenigro REMAX Home Team
Broker, GRI (856)374-2800 x106
Serving Gloucester Twp, Washington Twp & South Jersey Real Estate Markets
Read my Blog at
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 3, 2010
Hello Terry,
Thank you for your question.
In Glendora the inspection is pretty easy. Call the Fire Marshall Office to make sure someone is there and get the form from them. Then fill out the form and give them the fee $35. They will set up an appointment to go and inspect the home.
You will need smoke detectors in each level of the home, carbon monoxide detectors within 10 feet of the bedrooms and a fire extinguisher no more than 10 feet from the kitchen. Installed on the wall no higher than 5 feet.
Good luck,
Ines De La Cruz
RE/MAX Connection
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 2, 2010
Gloucester Twp eliminated the full inspection on rentals appx 2 yrs ago. You will need to get a smoke detector inspection..... it's $35 I think and you order it from the Glo Twp Construction office....they'll have the Fire Marshall contact you for the inspection. You'll need a smoke detector on each level of the home including the basement. You'll need at least one carbon monoxide detector near the bedrooms and one fire extinguisher in the kitchen (ask the Twp for specs on what type of exinguisher). Get the inspection done before your tenant moves in.

I hope that's helpful... if so, click the "thumbs up" below,

Joe Montenigro REMAX Home Team
Broker, GRI (856)374-2800 x106
Serving Gloucester Twp, Washington Twp & South Jersey Real Estate Markets
Read my Blog at
My Tours:

Note- Email me directly for follow up questions or answers, I don't monitor this forum for replies.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 2, 2010
Hi Terry
You will need to go to your local Municipal Building & Code Enforcement Office, fill out an application, pay fees & schedule an appointment for your home to be inpsected. They will require that you have your block & lot number info, name & address of the prosective tenants,& how many people will be living in the house.
Some towns require that you have a Landlord Registration number,if you need one they will tell you how to obtain one from a different dept pay another fee & you can usually get that within a day.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 2, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer