I want build a cob or earthbag style house (made from clay/sand and or straw binder) which is an unconventional build technique. Need land no codes.

Asked by Brian Wiseman, Chillicothe, OH Thu Mar 1, 2012

I need to find land in the Chillicothe to Jackson area which would allow this style of house to be built. It has a rubble trench foundation and walls harden to near concrete, would have conventional vinyl windows, new doors, stucco appearance on exterior wood and shingle roof. Will have solar panels on roof. Please help me find land for this.

This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3076416878--Wellston-Park-Dr-…

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Thu Mar 1, 2012
Brian your best bet is to talk to zoning and submit your plans for a variance before you purchase property. There are things that can be built that do not comform to current code but you need to get them approved before you start to build. Be aware that in Ohio we have not just State and County codes but also the possibility of township zoningboards.

Just an interesting fact, one of my neighbors had a county building permit for a shed. He did not apply for a Township permit. By Township code he was about 6 inches to close to the property line. He had to file for a variance and it had to go to a public meeting. The neighbors within 500 feet of the property had to sign off that it was alright with them. The cost to him was a little over 400.00 to get through the mess.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Property Q&A in Wellston Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more