Property Q&A in Rochester>Question Details

Chriscdl7, Home Buyer in

I own a property and have a tenant that refuses to pay rent

Asked by Chriscdl7, Fri Jun 29, 2012

I purchased a home in January. I made a verbal agreement with a tenant to pay the rent. She wanted to buy the house from me but couldn't so she tried to get me to add her to the deed of the property. I refused and since then she stopped paying. I took her to eviction court in April and she produced a forged written property purchase agreement and the judge dismissed the case to be handled in a higher court. I went to the police and she was arrested for producing a forged document in court. The notary gave a sworn statement that it was not her signature nor did she have permission to use her stamp. I also signed an afadavid stating my signature was forged as well. So I went to eviction court a second time in June still no payment of rent and the judge wouldn't even hear the case saying it had to be handled in different court as my lawyer argued that she was arrested for a forged document and any property purchase agreement must be in writing.

Help the community by answering this question:


Do you know if she had a rent- to- own agreement with prev. Owner? Talk to the ral estate attorney who helped you when you bought the house then since it could be a bit more complicated
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jul 5, 2012
Keep working with your attorney, he/she can best help in solving the problem...
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
I absolutely agree with Anna. But be sure to contact our organization, since the attorney's we work with are out in the field (so to speak) on a continuous basis in regards to property rights and so may be able to advise your attorney based on their experience working on behalf of housing providers. The aspect we would be interested in is the eviction...Of course you need to talk with our President Mary D'Allesandro. This is an insane situation. At the very least you should be able to get her out!
Flag Sat Jun 30, 2012
ChrisCDl7 please contact mary D'Allesandro from The NYS Coalition of Property & Business Owners. This is an organization of housing providers and business owners that has long been active in issues pertaining to property ownership. One area we (I am on the board of this organization) have recently been turning our eyes on and are beginning an action plan is the Rochester Housing courts which do not seem to uphold contracts and laws. If you are not sure how to contact Mary, please call me and I will help get you in contact with her. This might be a case we would be very interested in. My number is 585-760-3880
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
You can also call cops on her if you susPect any illegal activity at the property Don't stop what you are doing and one the property is vacant work with management company or a realtor to screen all your tenants
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
Keep flagging her posts on CL, keep working with your attorney, make sure you have all your communication with her in writing
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 30, 2012
So I am in the process of getting into a higher court. In the mean time this woman is still living in the property and just posted a add on craigslist "2 rooms for rent $400 per month" at my property address. It is a single family home with 4 bedrooms in it. What can I do about this?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 29, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer