I'm looking at a blighted property in the Irish Channel, but after inspection the engineer strongly recommends that I consider demolition..

Asked by Markregal, Irish Channel, New Orleans, LA Fri Jun 10, 2011

His recommendation is due to an all-but-destroyed foundation and extensive formosa termite infestation. You can see from the street how lop-sided the house has become. The property has been neglected for years, sitting on the market for nearly a decade now. It could be considered a health hazard.

Still, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the location it sits on, and I would like to be a part of this neighborhood's resurgence. It's a corner property, and I have a hunch that if this property were improved, the whole block could soon follow.. it's in a very pivotal location.

Would demolition be an option if I promised the preservation org to build a house that's architecturally/historically sensitive and consistent with the neighborhood? If I'm able to do this, I could see myself living there and being a neighborhood advocate there for the rest of my life.. I love the location THAT much. Thanks for your input!

Answers

3
damaje, Home Owner, 70130
Fri Jul 13, 2012
You echo Miriam. the Irish Channel is on National Register of Historic Places and you'd need to get permission to make changes. You could also reach out to the PRC (prcno.org) for advice.
Troy Jowers, Agent, Metairie, LA
Fri Jun 10, 2011
Miriam's right...this is a question the HDLC (Historic Districts and Landmarks Commission) will have to be involved in if the property is in a designated historic district (most of the Irish Channel is). They have maps on their web site to check.
Miriam Berns…, , New Orleans, LA
Fri Jun 10, 2011
I am not sure what your question is, it sounds like you found a location you love and you need to go to the City of New Orleans and do some homework in terms of what is possible...I don't think anyone here can answer questions about a specific and location and property. Do your due diligence and good luck!