Sarah Stavrou, Real Estate Pro in NYC, NY

I have a 3 story building with a garden apt. I need a new roof and the city says I need a crane. What are the height requirements for a crane?

Asked by Sarah Stavrou, NYC, NY Mon Nov 21, 2011

The property is located in humbolt park 60651, facing the park on a two way street.

Answers

5
David Hanna, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Nov 21, 2011
Hi Sarah-

Are all the roofing contractors saying they will need to use a crane?
You want bids from a licensed and insured roofing contractor. If you have multiple bids and all are telling you they need a crane, then it is safe to assume they are complying with the city requirements.
If not, use the contractor you like best and hopefully they also have the best price.
A crane may lower the cost by getting everything onto the roof quickly. There is only a need for the crane for a short period of time.
Wayne Beals, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Nov 21, 2011
Sarahstavrou

A crane would be useful in moving building materials up to the roof, no doubt. Many material suppliers have boom trucks for this task. But as far as the city requiring you use one? Doesn't make sense.

They may require a public way permit, as well as a canopy if the facade of your building is close to a public way such as a sidewalk, street or alley. This is done to protect pedestrians and traffic from debris that may fall from the worksite, and is common sense.

Best of luck. Call you alderman if your not getting clear direction from Department of Buildings. I believe that most residential roofing work does not require a building permit. I attached a link to the citys FAQ page on permits.

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
312 772-3257
312 77-BEALS
wbeals@kw.com
http://www.waynebeals.com
Matt Laricy, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Nov 21, 2011
I did not think you needed one for a 3 story building. I would consult with your real estate attorney. Have them look into it.
Sarah Stavrou, Agent, NYC, NY
Mon Nov 21, 2011
Hi Joseph

I've have already gotten numerous bids on the roof. Did you read the question? I'm asking when do you need a crane? I know nothing about doing a roof, nor would I even attempt to do it myself. The construction co. says the city is requiring us to use a crane. I didn't think you needed a crane for a 3 story bldg.
Joe Schiller, Agent, Chicago, IL
Mon Nov 21, 2011
get 3 estimates and ask a professional..you should see a similar cost breakdown in each estimate and go with whoever feels right.. roofing requires a permit and a dumpster and insurance and other things.. if you do it yourself your breaking the law
Web Reference:  http://www.josechiller.net