I have a small house 720 sq.ft.on an approximately 9,000 sq.ft. lot in Barrington. There are few, if any, comps so how do I get an accurate assessment

Asked by Curious, Barrington, RI Tue Feb 15, 2011

I believe my house is over valude for its' size. Can you use comparable house sales in nearby communities? I have found small houses but on smaller lots...how do you get an accurate assessment that would hold up?

Answers

1
Abby Ashley, Agent, Barrington, RI
Thu May 17, 2012
Hi Curious,

Ah, the age old question of how do they value our homes? Sometimes it's condition, then again, it's location,(are you near the water?) or the size of the lot (is it larger than the surrounding lots?). The amenities near by or even the surrounding values of the homes near by. If you have a small house surrounded by larger, nicer well kept homes, the value of your house will be more and visa versa. The only way I can answer your question is by actually seeing your home and comparing it to the surrounding homes. While the house maybe small, the lot is an average size lot for Barrington.

You will have to look at the history of the house sales around you, days on the market (DOM) it took to sell, the assessment vs. sale price vs. appraisal. I could go on and on with how to do as accurate assessment, but in the end it's still an "opinion of value" I hope this helps

Abby Randazzo
Coleman Realtors, Barrington
401-237-0032