I'd like to see certain patients out of a home-office. How can I find information on zoning and other legal matters, of which I am not?

Asked by Tricia.carey001, Chicopee, MA Sun Feb 17, 2013


Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Lisa Darragh, Agent, Northampton, MA
Sun Feb 17, 2013
Zoning is supplied on an assessment report. This can easily be obtained through your realtor. With every listing there is an assessment report attached, your realtor can send it to you via e-mail. Also,some towns have the assessment report available through their towns website. If not, you can go to your town hall and get the report from the assessors office. In terms of other legal matters., a real estate attorney is always best.
1 vote
Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Feb 27, 2013
Hi Tricia,

Many towns will have their local code on the Internet.
You can search them for the Home Office/Business criteria/restrictions.
You may be able to work from a residential site within those regulations - or not.

Of course choosing a local real estate pro can help you save a lot of time.
(Not me, I'm on the Cape, but I can help you choose a local pro when you are ready.)

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes
Peter Davies, Agent, Northampton, MA
Sun Feb 17, 2013

Good question! The zoning laws in a town are enforced by the Building Inspector or Building Commission, it is there I would start. You most likely would be asking for a limited business use or a home occupation, both which are allowed in certain districts with certain restrictions depending on the town. For example, in Northampton you can fill out a short Zoning Permit Application and give it to the Building Dept. Weekly they sit down with the Planning, Zoning, and Conservation representatives and go over recent applications. They can tell you whether your request would be allowed and how to proceed, for $15 it's an inexpensive way to determine your eligibility. Perhaps your town has something similar. As always, a local Attorney that specializes in land use would be very helpful.

Good luck Tricia...
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more