I am trying to sublease my co-op unit, I called the management company and they told me I needed a intent to return letter, where can I get one?

Asked by Asktrulia32, Westchester County, NY Thu Apr 7, 2011

I know I need board approval, but I was looking through online searches and couldn't find an answer for this. Do I need to hire a realestate attorney? Will he do everything necessary so that I can start subleasing soon?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Barhite and…, Agent, Bronxville, NY
Fri Apr 8, 2011
This letter, Intent to Return, is not particularly common. You might ask the Property Manager or Board if a form is available for your use. I would not expect an internet search to be particularly fruitful. Some Co-ops will consider sub-let for hardship or special circumstances. If your employer has relocated you for a temporary assignment in LA, for example, and all parties expect the stint to be for about 2 years, the co-op board would consider that situation carefully. Keeping the letter simple and trying to get a one-liner from the HR department to corroborate the facts would serve to strengthen the validity of the situation. On the other hand, if you do not intend to return you should revisit the alternatives to subletting.
Good luck.
0 votes
Debby Frank, Agent, Scarsdale, NY
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Having been on a board myself, I can tell you it is much simplier than you may think. Every coop has a term that you will be permitted to rent, usually 1-3 years. You should understand what is going to be necessary if you need to extend beyond that period of time. Your letter of intent should specify the amount of time needed to rent your apartment. The board will consider your request based on the amount of rentals there are currently in the cooperative.
Web Reference:  http://debbyfrank.com
0 votes
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Why not simply write a letter yourself, or if you would peace of mind, do consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate....
0 votes
Mindy Gerste…, Agent, Scarsdale, NY
Thu Apr 7, 2011
Sounds to me that this might be simpler than you think.
Does your coop only allow renting for a limited period of time, like two years and then the owner must return back to live in it or sell it?
I think an intent to return letter is something they might want you to write yourslef to the board, telling them you want to rent your unit but letting them know you intend to return.
There are many reasons why a board would require this, especially to prove that most of the building is owner occupied.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more