Property Q&A in Ann Arbor>Question Details

Michael, Other/Just Looking in Ann Arbor, MI

I am interested in knowing how easy it is to obtain a rental license for non-owner occupied 3 bedroom house near to U of M?

Asked by Michael, Ann Arbor, MI Tue Sep 25, 2012

Some college towns have placed moratoriums on issuing new rental licenses for houses that are not already registered as rental properties. Can anyone tell me if that is an issue in Ann Arbor? Do the regulations vary by vicinity to the campus and is there a Ann Arbor website that provides more specifics on the barriers to obtaining a license? Thanks.

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Michael:
Thoughtful question . . .
Ann Arbor has no moratorium on approval of newly-registered rental housing units.
Regulations are uniform city-wide, and are focused on issues impacting the safety and general habitability of the rental units. There is a requirement that newly-registered units be inspected; those that pass inspection are granted a three-year certificate of occupancy.
Ann Arbor has a very active, competent department devoted to providing services to both tenants and landlords. It is called "Rental Housing Services", and here is their webpage:…

Contact person in the department is: Kelli Johnson, Administrative Specialist; (734) 794-6000, x42667.

Hope this information is helpful to you.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 25, 2012
Brian - Thanks for your helpful and speedy response. This opens up lots of possibilities. M+
Flag Tue Sep 25, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer