I am going to remove ivy - should I do it or not

Asked by Northstar, Los Angeles, CA Sun Feb 21, 2010

My new place is on a gentle slope (7500 sqft lot). Ivy covers the entire side wall with one neighbor. With the ivy, there will be just a criss-cross wood fence. It is only february and already ivy is growing very fast. It expands to the adjacent fence; it is advancing to the front yard. Ivy root has already wound up the roots of my plants and hedges. Ivy is creeping to the wall and roof too. I want to remove all the ivy (if I can) as much as I can. I am perfectly fine with the criss-cross wood fence in terms of privacy. Would there be any cons, such as having ivy wall may be better in the future sale? I hate to live with such invasive plant (esp in summer when plants grow very fast). Thanks!

Answers

5
Emily Knell, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sun Feb 21, 2010
Take out the ivy & replace with bamboo. My neighbor put in bamboo only about a year ago & now it's, I swear 16 ft tall. It grows fast & straight up, I am actually unsure about roots, but it's great for privacy!

emilyknell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
Colin Campbe…, , Carneys Point Township, NJ
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Take it out, it is more hassle than what it is worth and you have many more visually attracive landscaping species to choose from.

Deborah Brem…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Hi Northstar;
For health purposes alone, definitely remove the ivy. It is the preferred nesting place for rats, because it holds in water, and is dark. In addition, the ivy will make permanent marks on top of, and into, wood, stucco, etc. From a value perspective, any other planting is considered more valuable than ivy, so you will be increasing your property value.
As for bamboo, DO NOT PLANT it anywhere near a house or structure. Bamboo has a traveling (creeping) root system that travels horizontally and sends up shoots all along the roots. Bamboo is extremely hardy and will grow in the dark, under your house, through a foundation, through a sewer line, etc.
If you want quick privacy, you can plant "potato vine", a small leafed, white flowered plant that travels along a fence but has a contained root system. Delicate and pretty, and does not attract insects or rodents. Inexpensive, no thorns, pretty drought tolerant.
See an image here:
http://www.nmessences.com/healing_images/potato_vine_b1.jpg
Deborah Bremner
REALTOR, 00588885
Certified Short Sale Professional
Certified Home Retention Specialist
(D) 818.564.6591
TheBremnerGroup@gmail.com
Blogging at: http://TheBremnerGroup.com/blog
Grant Linsco…, Agent, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Hi Northstar,

I agree you would be best to rip out the ivy. Ivy against your house will cause more issues with rats, mice, termites etc to try and enter your home. Your home is better off without it in my opinion.

Grant Linscott
323.333.6222 cell
grantlinscottproperty@gmail.com
Northstar, Home Buyer, Los Angeles, CA
Mon Feb 22, 2010
Thanks for the answers. One typo 'WITHOUT the ivy, there will be just a criss-cross wood fence'. So I will still have a fence without the ivy.