Property Q&A in 48009>Question Details

Sherry, Other/Just Looking in Birmingham, MI

I am a tenant. Can I have an estate sale in my rented home without my landlords permission?

Asked by Sherry, Birmingham, MI Sat Mar 2, 2013

Answers

5
Hi Sherry,

You will want to check both your lease and and local ordinances regarding estate/garage sales. Typically, these are fine but to be on the safe side I would make sure.

Good luck with your sale!

David Clegg, Realtor
Hall & Hunter
Birmingham, MI
248-688-8388
dclegg@hallandhunter.com
Sherry,
If you are leasing and your estate sale is within the home then I you would be responsible for any damage to the home that occurs during an estate sale. As we all know there usually isn't any damage so i doult your landlord would care that you have an estate sale. The conditions would not be spelled out in your lease but you could actually ask your landlords to be considerate depending on your relationship to be sure. There concern is that their home is taken care of but its really important to have a good relationship. The landlord-tenant relationship is contractually based on what is in the lease. This would not be in the lease so why not ask?. It really shouldn't hurt and I'll bet they say "fine" and probably appreciate you asking..

Cathy Foreman
Prudential HWWB
Birmingham
Hi Sherry,

I would look over your lease. If that doesn't help, you should ask your landlord.

Jamie L. Rodgers
My Realty Select
The "Mr. Rodgers" Team
The Bros Who Are Real Estate Pros
Whether or not you can have an estate sale would be dictated by the occupancy conditions set forth in your lease agreement. Most residential leases that I have seen do not have any conditions that would prevent a tenant from having an estate sale. Your best course of action would be to read over your lease before scheduling the sale.
Sherry, I suggest you review your lease and see what it says. If you are not sure after reviewing your lease, it would be a good idea to check with your landlord.

I hope this information helps! Best Wishes!
Web Reference: http://www.GoMelinda.com