How would I find out who owns a property that's been vacant for many, many years? I am interested in trying to purchase it if possible

Asked by wilson6324, Big Pine, CA Thu Mar 28, 2013

Answers

2
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Thu Mar 28, 2013
You've hit on one of my company's most successful marketing tools. You may have a hard time tracking the owner through public records. Owners of long-vacant homes are usually in an assisted living facility, deceased, or out of the area. Sometimes they have a local attorney who looks after the house, though by the look it they're not earning their $450/hour. Most owners either have no family or their family lives far away (I've travelled to the midwest more than once to present an offer for a boarded-up property).
We have a lot more success with just asking the neighbors. They may know the owner or an owner's family member and agree to give you contact information. While I would never open a mail box or do anything else ILLEGAL (tampering with the mail is a federal offense, entering without permission is trespassing...), I've had luck just looking at mail on the ground or stuck in the door to get a name, which may or may not match the real owner. Just follow the leads.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Thu Mar 28, 2013
Tax records are public information. If you have a realtor they can pull it for you, or go to the assessor's office.

Lance R. King
Founder-Managing Broker
King Realty Group
415.722.5549 Cell
lance@king-realtygroup.com
License# 01384425