How to get original home blueprints?

Asked by Happy Homeowner, Houston, TX Sun Apr 19, 2009

I'm not interested in moving. I'm just trying to find where to get a copy of the original blueprint of my home. I can't find any information on the City of Houston website. Google doesn't yield any information on companies that built homes in the Westbury neighborhood in 1961. Thank you in advance for help!

Esther

Answers

4
thisisariot, Home Owner, Pasadena, CA
Wed Jun 11, 2014
Look on your city's official website under Building and Permits. Some counties and cities provide online services whereby a person can type in an address and the original building/house plans are retrieved. Others require the individual to come down to their designated office at the City Hall and request the plans be pulled which are usually on microfilm if the property was build many years ago. Sometimes there is a charge for this and the plans can only be viewed in the office. Previous permits that were granted on the property can also be pulled and duplicated.
Hope this helps and all my best. Kathy
I think you're right. In a lot of counties, you are required to file the blueprints with the Deed of Trust with the county. They should be able to provide those plans for you. They might ask you why you need them though. If you just want to see a few things, they should just let you access them with no charge. But like "thisisariot" said, there will probably be a charge if you want a printed version of them. http://www.blueprintsetc.com
Flag Tue Oct 28, 2014
Rob Purifoy, Agent, Plano, TX
Sun Apr 19, 2009
Yeah, that is a tough one. Finding the family tree, so to speak, for a house is almost dang impossible because it extends to the subcontractors that worked on the house way back when. I sure hate to say " I just don't know", but you have me stumped on this one.
Happy Homeow…, , Houston, TX
Sun Apr 19, 2009
Thank you, Rob. On the one hand, we're curious about what may or may not be "between the walls." But, it would be nice to not have any surprises when our Hurricane Ike repairs start. So, do you think going to the department that issues permits wouldn't help either?

Esther
Rob Purifoy, Agent, Plano, TX
Sun Apr 19, 2009
Original Blueprints are not filed of record anywhere and are inherently hard to come by, good luck on that one unless you are working with a newly constructed home. The title (abstract) company will have the neighborhood plat but nothing as to the measurements or construction of the home. What are you looking for in the blueprints? Just curious.
Web Reference:  http://www.robpurifoy.info